Ice Bears Sign 7-Time SPHL Scoring Champion Swider
Knoxville, TN (March 20, 2018) Knoxville Ice Bears head coach Jeff Carr announced Tuesday he has signed former Knoxville Ice Bears center Kevin Swider to a standard player contract.
Swider, former captain, led the SPHL in scoring in each of his seven seasons in the SPHL, was named SPHL league MVP three times and lead the Ice Bears to three SPHL President's Cup Championships. He retired following the 2011-2012 season.
"I watched some video on him from when he played in Knoxville and I was impressed with ability to see the game. After few discussions with Kevin and Murr (Mike Murray), we all agreed this was something that would be good for the team.... The desire to win an SPHL Championship. He has the ability to win key faceoffs and distribute the puck to some highly skilled players," said Carr.
During his career, Swider has amassed 687 points (253 G, 434 A) in 375 games played, an average of 1.83 points per game. He is the only player in SPHL history to eclipse the 100-point mark in a 56 game schedule, which he did three times.
"I am excited to come back, and join the team on their playoff run. I am confident I can still contribute to the organization and be a part of the team that can win another SPHL Championship for Knoxville," said Swider.
"We were quite intrigued and excited to hear of Kevin's interest in contributing to the new culture and direction we are going in" said team President and General Manager Mike Murray.
With the addition of Swider, the Ice Bears have had defensemen Michael Chen and Evan Neugold return from the ECHL. The team released forwards Tyler Howe and Dean Yakura.
The Ice Bears are home for one game this weekend when they host the surging Birmingham Bulls for Hot Wheels Night. Classic hot rods from around the region will showcase these finely tuned machines where fans will vote for their favorites. To purchase tickets, visit www.ticketmaster.com - puck drop is at 7:30 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2018
- Ice Flyers Win 4-3 against the Birmingham Bulls in Rescheduled Game - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Ice Bears Sign 7-Time SPHL Scoring Champion Swider - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Rookie Forward Ben Greiner Signed to Amateur Tryout - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Mayhem Week at a Glance: Mayhem Battle First-Place Peoria Rivermen - Macon Mayhem
- Parks Returns to Rivermen from ECHL Stint - Peoria Rivermen
- Knoxville's Eliot Grauer Named Warrior Player of the Week - SPHL
- Ice Flyers Gameday - Pensacola Ice Flyers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.