Hurricanes Named WHL Business of the Year
LETHBRIDGE, AB - The Western Hockey League announced Wednesday that the Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club have been named the WHL's Business of the Year Award winner.
The Hurricanes were nominated as the Eastern Conference Business of the Year for the second consecutive season in 2019-2020. The 'Canes finished as the runner-up to the Everett Silvertips in 2018-2019.
"We are super honoured to be selected as the WHL Business of the Year," said Hurricanes General Manager of Business Operations Terry Huisman. "There has been a lot of hard work by our team over the last few seasons to get to where we are, and we are super proud of the work we've been able to accomplish off the ice."
In 2019-2020, the Hurricanes had a total of 123,069 fans enter the ENMAX Centre for an average attendance of 3,970 per game, which was on pace to be the second-best attended season in franchise history. The average of 3,970 also matched the 'Canes average attendance from 2018-2019.
"Our fan base has been great," said Huisman. "They seem to be getting younger and more excited and engaged at every game and we finished pretty good [for attendance] which is really exciting and you can tell the pride our fans have in the community."
The 'Canes were very involved in the community of Lethbridge and beyond, including initiatives in nearby Coaldale, Magrath and Raymond as the Hurricanes provided presentations on leadership, anti-bullying, financial literacy and concussion awareness while connecting through attending minor hockey practices and helping to build positive skills on and off the ice. In addition, the Hurricanes helped contribute over $163,000 to local communities and organizations.
"We are a big part of the community of Lethbridge and we take that seriously and we've focused on being a part of the community, helping the community and being represented in the community as much as we can," said Huisman.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 6, 2020
- Join Us for 'Louie in the Neighbourhood' on Friday, May 8 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Cougars Sign Second Round Draft Pick Bauer Dumanski - Prince George Cougars
- Western Hockey League Announces Sheldon Kennedy as Recipient of WHL Governors Award - WHL
- Broncos Sign Rylan Gould to WHL Standard Player Agreement - Swift Current Broncos
- This Week in History, May 3-9, 2001 - Rebels Memorial Cup Run - Red Deer Rebels
- Tigers Sign Shane Smith - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels Sign Matteo Fabrizi - Red Deer Rebels
- Raiders Sign Harrison Lodewyk - Prince Albert Raiders
- Western Hockey League Announces Lethbridge Hurricanes as Recipient of WHL Business Award - WHL
- Winnipeg ICE Sign 2005-Born Forward Ty Fraser to a WHL Standard Player Agreement - Winnipeg Ice
- Hurricanes Named WHL Business of the Year - Lethbridge Hurricanes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.