Tigers Sign Shane Smith
Medicine Hat, AB - The Medicine Hat Tigers are pleased to announce the club has signed forward Shane Smith to a WHL Standard Player Agreement.
"It's an honour to sign with such a great organization. I would like to thank my coaches, teammates and family for their continued support. Now I have to keep working hard and developing so I can one day be the player that they know I can be," said Smith.
The 15-year-old Cessford, AB product was drafted by the Tigers in the third round, 51st overall in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft.
"Shane is a 200 foot forward that works extremely hard on both sides of the puck. He has a nose for the net and he will go to the tough areas to score. He is an all-round valuable team guy," said Bobby Fox, Director of Player Personnel.
Smith may be familiar to Medicine Hat fans since he played for the South East Athletic Club (SEAC) Tigers Bantam AAA team in the Alberta Major Bantam Hockey League (AMBHL) during the 2018-19 season before transferring to the Edge School Bantam Prep team in the Canadian Sport School Bantam Hockey League (CSSBHL) for the 2019-20 season. The Edge School finished the season with an 11-9-6-4 record and Smith contributed 43 points (23G, 20A).
"Shane is another player out of our area that has had a very successful hockey career so far. He was highly rated by our scouts and he is a player we will be excited to see in a Tigers uniform," said Willie Desjardins, General Manager and Head Coach.
The Tigers would like to welcome Smith and his family to the organization.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 6, 2020
- Join Us for 'Louie in the Neighbourhood' on Friday, May 8 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Cougars Sign Second Round Draft Pick Bauer Dumanski - Prince George Cougars
- Western Hockey League Announces Sheldon Kennedy as Recipient of WHL Governors Award - WHL
- Broncos Sign Rylan Gould to WHL Standard Player Agreement - Swift Current Broncos
- This Week in History, May 3-9, 2001 - Rebels Memorial Cup Run - Red Deer Rebels
- Tigers Sign Shane Smith - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels Sign Matteo Fabrizi - Red Deer Rebels
- Raiders Sign Harrison Lodewyk - Prince Albert Raiders
- Western Hockey League Announces Lethbridge Hurricanes as Recipient of WHL Business Award - WHL
- Winnipeg ICE Sign 2005-Born Forward Ty Fraser to a WHL Standard Player Agreement - Winnipeg Ice
- Hurricanes Named WHL Business of the Year - Lethbridge Hurricanes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.