Huff, Arias Power Wood Ducks Past Dash
Kinston, N.C. - The Down East Wood Ducks used the home run ball to get out to an early lead, and the bullpen was able to hold on late, as Down East takes a two games to none series lead, with a 3-2 win over the Dash.
The Wood Ducks (16-9, 66-29) have now won five straight ballgames, and are now 22-12 in one-run contests this season.
Down East got on the board in the first inning, when Sam Huff launched a home run to center field off of Jonathan Stiever (loss, 2-3). It was Huff's ninth homer as a Wood Duck, and 24th overall this season.
The Woodies added to their lead in the third. Diosbel Arias took Stiever deep to left for his third home run of the season to make it 2-0. After a double by Curtis Terry, Bubba Thompson, in his return to the lineup, lined an RBI single to left to put Down East ahead, 3-0.
Stiever settled down to work six innings, giving up three runs on six hits. He walked two and matched a career-high with nine strikeouts, in his fifth straight quality start.
Meanwhile Noah Bremer retired the first seven men he faced in the ballgame. Wood Ducks pitching retired 28 consecutive dating back to the third inning of Saturday night's game. Bremer would give up just one unearned run in 4.1 innings, he walked one and struck out seven, in his second start back from injury. He did not factor in the decision.
The lone run Bremer surrendered came in the fifth. Tate Blackman reached on an error with one out ending the outing for Bremer. Josh Advocate (win, 4-2) came in, and after picking up a strikeout, gave up an RBI double to center by Yeyson Yrizarri to make it a 3-1 ballgame.
Yrizarri would strike again in the eighth, when he homered off of Francisco Villegas to cut the lead to 3-2.
Joe Kuzia (save, 13) issued a walk to lead off the ninth, but picked up back-to-back strikeouts to end the inning, stranding the tying run at second base. Kuzia remains perfect in save opportunities, and now ranks second in the Carolina League in saves.
The Wood Ducks go for the series sweep Monday, when they send lefty John King (2-1, 1.87) to the mound to face off with Winston-Salem righty Kade McClure (1-1, 2.06). First pitch is set for 7 p.m. and the broadcast will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps. For tickets and more information visit woodducksbaseball.com, or call (252) 686-5172.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Pelicans Earn Doubleheader Split Behind Richan's Complete Game - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Hillcats Split Twin Bill with Birds on Sunday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dou Dazzles on Mound in Woodpeckers Victory - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Return Serve with Late 3-1 Win - Potomac Nationals
- LHP Ryan Kellogg placed on the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Isbel Homers in Return for Wilmington Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Aguilar Homers Again as Carolina Falls 3-2 in Wilmington - Carolina Mudcats
- Hanifee Fires Complete Game Shutout - Frederick Keys
- Stiever Logs Quality Start in Loss at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Huff, Arias Power Wood Ducks Past Dash - Down East Wood Ducks
- July 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 14 vs. Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Beckman Assigned to Rocky Mountain; Rodriguez Reinstated - Carolina Mudcats
- July 14 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 14 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Schedule
- Fayetteville Uses Four Run Seventh To Advance To Championship