Isbel Homers in Return for Wilmington Win
Wilmington, DE - Daniel Tillo and Kyle Isbel combined on most of the heavy lifting in the Wilmington Blue Rocks' 3-2 win over the Carolina Mudcats on Sunday at Frawley Stadium. Tillo turned in a quality start while Isbel provided the offense with a three-run homer as the Blue Crew were victorious for the seventh straight time against Carolina.
Tillo yielded a solo homer to the game's second batter and nothing else. The lefty allowed just three hits and the single score over six innings. He fanned four and scattered three walks. He let just one runner reach scoring position, working his way out of a first-and-second jam in the top of the sixth.
Isbell erased the early deficit for the Blue Crew when he snuck a fly ball just inside the right-field foul pole in the third. Kyle Kasser opened the inning with a single and went to second a sacrifice from Rudy Martin. One out later Brewer Hicklen was hit by a pitch and then Isbel let one fly against Carolina starter Noah Zavloas.
Robert Garcia worked a scoreless seventh out of the 'pen for the Blue Crew. Holden Capps did yield a run on Payton Henry's RBI-grounder, but then Tad Ratliff worked a one-two-three ninth to nail down his Carolina League-leading 18th save of the season.
The Rocks conclude their six-game homestand on Monday against Carolina. First pitch is slated for 6:35 p.m. Tickets are available at BlueRocks.com and fans who don't make it to the ballpark can catch all of the action with the Voice of the Blue Rocks, Cory Nidoh, on 89.7 WGLS-FM.
PEBBLES OF KNOWLEDGE:
Wilmington's starting pitching has been magnificent over the last four games. During that span the quartet of Kris Bubic, Austin Cox, Marcelo Martinez and Daniel Tillo have combined to allow just two earned runs over 25 innings pitched. Each turned in quality outings. For Tillo its was his fifth start in his last six trips to the mound, but his first win. In fact, the victory was his first since May 31.
Kyle Isbel announced in return to the Riverfront with authority on Sunday. Playing his first game as a Blue Rock since April 16 the prospect outfielder hit a three-run homer in the third inning. It was his third long ball in only 13 contests with Wilmington in 2019. Isbel began the season with the Blue Crew, but missed almost three full months on the injured list. He returned for a week-long rehab stint in the Arizona Rookie League before being placed back on the Wilmington roster Saturday and making his return to the lineup in Sunday's triumph.
The Blue Crew lead the Carolina League with 39 games decided by a single score in 2019 and have played 58 affairs with a margin of victory of two-or-less. Wilmington is an impressive 41-17 in those close calls including 31-8 in one-run decisions.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Pelicans Earn Doubleheader Split Behind Richan's Complete Game - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Hillcats Split Twin Bill with Birds on Sunday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dou Dazzles on Mound in Woodpeckers Victory - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Return Serve with Late 3-1 Win - Potomac Nationals
- LHP Ryan Kellogg placed on the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Isbel Homers in Return for Wilmington Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Aguilar Homers Again as Carolina Falls 3-2 in Wilmington - Carolina Mudcats
- Hanifee Fires Complete Game Shutout - Frederick Keys
- Stiever Logs Quality Start in Loss at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Huff, Arias Power Wood Ducks Past Dash - Down East Wood Ducks
- July 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 14 vs. Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Beckman Assigned to Rocky Mountain; Rodriguez Reinstated - Carolina Mudcats
- July 14 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 14 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.