Stiever Logs Quality Start in Loss at Down East
KINSTON, N.C. - Jonathan Stiever registered his fifth consecutive quality start on Sunday, but the Down East Wood Ducks edged the Dash 3-2 at Grainger Stadium.
A former fifth-round pick out of Indiana University, Stiever (2-3) went six innings against the Wood Ducks (16-9, 66-29), allowing six hits and three runs in a losing effort. The right-hander's nine strikeouts were the most for the former Hoosier in a Dash (10-15, 48-41) uniform. Stiever has now recorded a quality start in each of his five outings with Winston-Salem.
However, Down East jumped out to an early advantage in the first inning. With one out, Sam Huff, who was named the Futures Game MVP a week ago, launched a solo shot to center to put the Woodies ahead 1-0.
In the third, Down East added to its lead. With one out, Diosbel Arias cracked a solo blast to left to make it a 2-0 contest. Curtis Terry followed with a double, and, two batters later, Bubba Thompson stroked a run-scoring single to left to up the Wood Ducks edge to three.
Noah Bremer got the start for the Wood Ducks, posting 4.1 solid frames before leaving the game after Tate Blackman reached on an error. Josh Advocate replaced Bremer, and, after recording a strikeout against Evan Skoug, he gave up an RBI double to Yeyson Yrizarri to cut the deficit to two.
Yrizarri's double was the lone hit against Advocate (4-2), who earned the victory by throwing 2.2 shutout innings. Winston-Salem made it a one-run contest on Yrizarri's solo shot in the eighth, but Joe Kuzia shut the door with a scoreless ninth.
In the loss, Bennett Sousa and Will Kincanon each tossed a scoreless inning for the Dash.
Winston-Salem wraps up its road trip on Monday at Grainger Stadium with a 7 p.m. contest against Down East. Right-hander Kade McClure (1-1, 2.06 ERA) will take the hill against Woodies left-hander John King (2-1, 1.87 ERA. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast and the TuneIn Radio App.
The homestand gets started with a Winston Wednesday and a Wing Wednesday, with $10 presale tickets, Warthogs jerseys and 50 cent wings. Following Wednesday's contest, there will be a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday and Pups in the Park Night presented by Handy & Handy Orthodontics. The series finale with Wilmington will be a Fireworks Friday and a Hometown Heroes USA Night with discounted tickets available for veterans and first responders. Kids Run the Bases, presented by New Balance Winston-Salem, will take place following Friday's game.
The three-game set with Down East kicks off with a Chick-fil-A Four Pack Night and live music on Saturday. Sunday's contest will be a Lowes Foods Family Sunday. Kids Run the Bases, presented by New Balance Winston-Salem, will follow Saturday's game and Sunday's game. The series with Down East concludes with a Free Food Monday with free hot dogs and fries available until 8:30 p.m. and corn dogs while supplies last. For tickets and more information call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Pelicans Earn Doubleheader Split Behind Richan's Complete Game - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Hillcats Split Twin Bill with Birds on Sunday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dou Dazzles on Mound in Woodpeckers Victory - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Return Serve with Late 3-1 Win - Potomac Nationals
- LHP Ryan Kellogg placed on the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Isbel Homers in Return for Wilmington Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Aguilar Homers Again as Carolina Falls 3-2 in Wilmington - Carolina Mudcats
- Hanifee Fires Complete Game Shutout - Frederick Keys
- Stiever Logs Quality Start in Loss at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Huff, Arias Power Wood Ducks Past Dash - Down East Wood Ducks
- July 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 14 vs. Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Beckman Assigned to Rocky Mountain; Rodriguez Reinstated - Carolina Mudcats
- July 14 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 14 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.