Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Academy Alum Memo Rodriguez
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo and Academy alum Memo Rodriguez have agreed to a new contract extension, the club announced today. The multi-year agreement will see the midfielder remain with the Dynamo through the 2022 season with club options for 2023 and 2024.
Rodriguez is the first Dynamo Academy product to progress through every level of the Club's developmental pyramid. He was originally signed to a Homegrown contract on Dec. 4, 2014, and starred for Rio Grande Valley FC in 2016 before re-joining the Dynamo First Team in 2017. With the extension of Rodriguez, the Dynamo have now signed six Dynamo Academy products to new or extended contracts since the end of 2018.
"Memo exemplifies who we are as a club both on and off the field and we are very pleased that he will continue to represent the city of Houston and our team" said Dynamo Senior Vice President and General Manager Matt Jordan. "He has worked through every level of our Club's structure to earn this extension, while being a top professional every step of the way. We're all confident in what the future holds for Memo as he continues to grow and develop with our club."
Rodriguez has scored 17 goals for the Dynamo across all competitions, tied for the 10th most in club history, and has also recorded 10 assists for the club.
"It means a lot to me that the club believes in me for the long term. Obviously, the hard work hasn't stopped and I'm more motivated than ever," Rodriguez said. "As a kid you dream of playing professional soccer in your hometown and to do that for years to come is a dream come true."
Rodriguez has emerged as a consistent starter in 2020 and has been a key figure in the Houston attack with three goals and three assists this season. The El Campo, Texas native scored two goals in Houston's 3-3 draw with Los Angeles FC earlier this summer at the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando.
The 24-year-old has scored 13 goals for the Dynamo in league play and recorded nine assists since making his debut in 2017. The midfielder made his debut as a substitute on April 8, 2017 on the road in New England. Rodriguez would score his first goal for the Dynamo later that season in a 3-1 victory over Montreal on July 5, 2017 at BBVA Stadium.
Rodriguez scored the third goal in Houston's 3-3 draw with LAFC in the semifinals of the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. The Dynamo triumphed in the resulting penalty shootout with LAFC and claim their first domestic cup with a 3-0 victory over the Philadelphia Union that fall in Houston. Rodriguez finished with 19 appearances and one goal in his second full season with the club.
The Dynamo Academy alum set a career record for starts, appearances, goals and assists in 2019. Rodriguez scored seven goals and recorded five assists in 26 games for the Dynamo last season.
TRANSACTION: The Houston Dynamo sign MF Memo Rodriguez to a new contract extension through the 2022 season with club options for 2023 and 2024.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 1, 2020
- Inter Miami CF to Host New York City FC on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC Midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Pozuelo Named MLS Player of the Month - Toronto FC
- MLS Postpones Saturday's Portland Timbers vs Colorado Rapids Match to November 4 - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Home Match against Colorado Rapids Rescheduled for November 4 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Postpones Saturday's Portland Timbers vs. Colorado Rapids Match - MLS
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Academy Alum Memo Rodriguez - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC and Banc of California Stadium Launch "Embrace the Space" - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Acquire $600k in GAM and 2021 Draft Pick in Trade with Montreal Impact - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Acquires Striker Mason Toye from Minnesota United FC - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC 2021 Season Ticket Memberships Now on Sale to General Public - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting KC to Host College Invitational Combine in November - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami to Face San Lorenzo in International EFriendly on October 5 - Inter Miami CF
- Tacoma Unbeaten in Three Straight, Knocks off Sacramento 1-0 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows
- Dynamo Rally Late for 2-2 Draw at Minnesota
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Travel to Allianz Field to Face Minnesota United FC
- Dynamo Fall to Nashville SC 3-1
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Stretch Versus Eastern Conference Opponents against Nashville SC