Hot Start Propels ThunderBolts to Victory
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts benefitted from an early offensive outburst and a brilliant pitching performance from Patrick Ledet, as Windy City took the rubber game over the Traverse City Beach Bums by a 7-1 final Thursday night.
The Bolts were ambushed for a run in the top of the first inning three batters in, as Isaac Benard reached on an error and Will Kengor singled him home.
Traverse City (39-47) would muster just two hits the rest of the way. Patrick Ledet shut the door over his next six innings pitched and managed to retire the final 16 of 18 men he faced.
Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the first, Tim Zier singled in front of Axel Johnson, who sent his seventh home run of the year out to deep rightfield giving the Bolts a 2-1 advantage. Straub then followed with a double and scored on a Derek Bangert RBI single to make it 3-1.
The ThunderBolts (37-51) matched a three-run first inning with a three-run second. With runners at first and second, Zier singled home Ronnie Healy. One batter later, Johnson struck out swinging, but reached first as the ball got to the backstop.
On the dropped third strike, Obregon scored and Zier eventually crossed home plate on a Matt Murphy balk to give Windy City a decisive 6-1 advantage.
Straub, in the seventh inning, doubled for the second time in three at-bats, and was driven in by Bangert for the second time in the ballgame. Zier finished his night 3-for-4 at the plate with two runs scored and an RBI.
Ledet (7-7) got the win after not allowing an earned run over seven innings, while Murphy (3-5) was hit with the loss. Colton Follett and Dan Hlad combined to throw two shutout innings out of the pen to seal the victory.
The ThunderBolts prepare for their final home series of 2018 against the Joliet Slammers beginning Friday. It will be fan appreciation night presented by Weiss Memorial Hospital with a firework show following the game.
Jake Welch (6-5, 3.41) will get the start for Windy City. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 and the broadcast can be heard on 88.3 FM and WXAV.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Miners Swept by Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Rally Late to Sweep Miners - Evansville Otters
- Hot Start Propels ThunderBolts to Victory - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Win 5th Straight - River City Rascals
- CornBelters Drop Series Finale to Freedom - Normal CornBelters
- Early Runs Doom Beach Bums at Windy City - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Come up Shy in Series Finale 6-2 - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Push Past Wild Things - Schaumburg Boomers
- Grizzlies Succumb to Early Rascals Onslaught - Gateway Grizzlies
- Romero shines in Crusher victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Joliet Sweeps Doubleheader - Lake Erie Crushers
- Belters Bounce Back against Florence - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.