Hooks Top Cards with 6-1 Win in Sunday Finale
Corpus Christi, TX - The Corpus Christi Hooks claimed the series finale with a 6-1 win against the Springfield Cardinals before 3,703 fans at Whataburger Field on Sunday afternoon.
The Hooks (30-20, 73-46) seized the early lead right out of the gates against RHP Anthony Shew (L, 6-7). After a two-out walk extended the bottom of the first, 3B Abraham Toro sent a two-run home run to right field, opening a 2-0 lead for Corpus Christi.
Corpus Christi added to the advantage in the bottom of the third. With runners at second and third and two away, Torres tapped an RBI infield single toward short, reaching safely and allowing RF Ronnie Dawson to dart home for the 3-0 lead.
Hooks RHP Akeem Bostick (W, 2-4) had kept the Cardinals (21-29, 54-66) off the board through his first four innings, including a stretch of 10 straight outs, but Springfield broke through in the top of the fifth. A base hit by DH Andrew Knizner and walks from C Jeremy Martinez and CF Chase Pinder loaded the bases with one away. SS Jose Martinez then skied an RBI sacrifice fly to left-center, bringing home Knizner to shave the deficit to 3-1.
The Hooks, however, stretched the lead right back out in the bottom of the fifth. After a hit batter and a base hit, DH Carmen Benedetti brought in a run with an RBI single to center. One out later with runners at second and third, SS Josh Rojas plated both Hooks with a two-run single to left-center, padding the advantage to 6-1.
Corpus LHP Ryan Hartman entered in the top of the sixth and dealt three scoreless frames, before RHP Carlos Sierra logged a scoreless ninth to close the 6-1 win for the Hooks.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Season Ticket Holders: Join us Tuesday, Wednesday for discussion on 2019 ticket improvements - Springfield Cardinals
- Dunshee, 'Hounds Deny Travs Sweep in Shutout - Arkansas Travelers
- Hooks Top Cards with 6-1 Win in Sunday Finale - Springfield Cardinals
- Riders Drop Series Finale in Springdale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Northwest Arkansas Pounds Frisco; Completes Sweep - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hooks Cruise for Series Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Missions-Drillers Series Finale Postponed Due to Unplayable Conditions - San Antonio Missions
- Hooks Even the Series on Saturday, 5-2 - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Cardenales de Springfield to Debut in 2020 Copa De La DiversiÃÂ³n
- Give the Gift of Cardinals Baseball this Christmas Ã°ÂÂÂÃ¢ÂÂ¾Ã¯Â¸Â
- Hammons Field Wins Seventh Double-A Field of the Year Award
- #VoteCardinals for 3 MiLBY Awards Before Voting Ends
- Start Your 2020 RED Access Today with a 5-Month Flex Plan