Hooks Even the Series on Saturday, 5-2
Corpus Christi, TX - The Corpus Christi Hooks evened the series with a 5-2 win against the Springfield Cardinals before 5,459 fans at Whataburger Field on Saturday night.
One night after being shut out by Springfield (21-28, 54-65), the Hooks (29-20, 72-46) came out swinging in the bottom of the first against LHP Genesis Cabrera (L, 0-1). Leading off the inning, CF Ronnie Dawson connected for a solo home run to left field, opening the early 1-0 lead.
After back-to-back walks from the Hooks opened the bottom of the second, consecutive RBI doubles by SS Anibal Sierra and Dawson opened the Corpus advantage to 3-0.
The Cardinals got on the board in the top of the third against RHP Corbin Martin (W, 7-2). SS Jose Martinez led off with a walk before moving to second on a wild pitch. One out later, 2B Andy Young blasted an RBI double up against the wall in left field, shaving Springfield's deficit to 3-1.
The Hooks got the run back in the bottom of the fourth. One out singles from Dawson and RF Stephen Wrenn were compounded by a balk from LHP Elniery Garcia, putting runners at second and third. DH Carmen Benedetti then skied an RBI sac fly to center, plating Dawson to make it 4-1.
Springfield sliced it back to a two-run difference in the sixth when 3B Evan Mendoza reached on a fielder's choice, tagged and took second on a fly out and then worked around from second base on a pair of wild pitches, making it 4-2.
The Hooks, however, added a final insurance run in the eighth with an RBI double from C Lorenzo Quintana, before LHP Alex Winkelman (S, 4) closed it with a scoreless ninth to wrap up the 5-2 win for Corpus Christi.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Season Ticket Holders: Join us Tuesday, Wednesday for discussion on 2019 ticket improvements - Springfield Cardinals
- Dunshee, 'Hounds Deny Travs Sweep in Shutout - Arkansas Travelers
- Hooks Top Cards with 6-1 Win in Sunday Finale - Springfield Cardinals
- Riders Drop Series Finale in Springdale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Northwest Arkansas Pounds Frisco; Completes Sweep - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hooks Cruise for Series Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Missions-Drillers Series Finale Postponed Due to Unplayable Conditions - San Antonio Missions
- Hooks Even the Series on Saturday, 5-2 - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Elf on the Shelf Ornaments Have Arrived
- Time Running out to See Ozzie Smith at Dinner on the Diamond
- Hammons Field Wins Texas League Field of the Year for 9th-Straight Season
- Cardinals Fall 11-6 to RockHounds in Season Finale
- Cardinals Downed by RockHounds, Season Closes on Monday Afternoon