Hooks Even the Series on Saturday, 5-2
Corpus Christi, TX - The Corpus Christi Hooks evened the series with a 5-2 win against the Springfield Cardinals before 5,459 fans at Whataburger Field on Saturday night.
One night after being shut out by Springfield (21-28, 54-65), the Hooks (29-20, 72-46) came out swinging in the bottom of the first against LHP Genesis Cabrera (L, 0-1). Leading off the inning, CF Ronnie Dawson connected for a solo home run to left field, opening the early 1-0 lead.
After back-to-back walks from the Hooks opened the bottom of the second, consecutive RBI doubles by SS Anibal Sierra and Dawson opened the Corpus advantage to 3-0.
The Cardinals got on the board in the top of the third against RHP Corbin Martin (W, 7-2). SS Jose Martinez led off with a walk before moving to second on a wild pitch. One out later, 2B Andy Young blasted an RBI double up against the wall in left field, shaving Springfield's deficit to 3-1.
The Hooks got the run back in the bottom of the fourth. One out singles from Dawson and RF Stephen Wrenn were compounded by a balk from LHP Elniery Garcia, putting runners at second and third. DH Carmen Benedetti then skied an RBI sac fly to center, plating Dawson to make it 4-1.
Springfield sliced it back to a two-run difference in the sixth when 3B Evan Mendoza reached on a fielder's choice, tagged and took second on a fly out and then worked around from second base on a pair of wild pitches, making it 4-2.
The Hooks, however, added a final insurance run in the eighth with an RBI double from C Lorenzo Quintana, before LHP Alex Winkelman (S, 4) closed it with a scoreless ninth to wrap up the 5-2 win for Corpus Christi.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Season Ticket Holders: Join us Tuesday, Wednesday for discussion on 2019 ticket improvements - Springfield Cardinals
- Dunshee, 'Hounds Deny Travs Sweep in Shutout - Arkansas Travelers
- Hooks Top Cards with 6-1 Win in Sunday Finale - Springfield Cardinals
- Riders Drop Series Finale in Springdale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Northwest Arkansas Pounds Frisco; Completes Sweep - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hooks Cruise for Series Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Missions-Drillers Series Finale Postponed Due to Unplayable Conditions - San Antonio Missions
- Hooks Even the Series on Saturday, 5-2 - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.