Holley is West's Most Outstanding Rookie
Calgary Stampeders linebacker Nate Holley has been voted the West Division finalist for the Canadian Football League's Most Outstanding Rookie award.
The award finalists are determined by voting members of the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC) as well as one ballot from each team's coaching staff. The CFL award winners will be announced on Thursday, Nov. 21 during Grey Cup week festivities in Calgary.
Holley played primarily on special teams for the first seven games of the season before drawing his first starting assignment. Despite starting just eight of Calgary's 18 games, Holley ranked third on the club with 78 defensive tackles. He also had one sack, one fumble recovery, one interception and three knockdowns.
With a team-leading 22 special-teams tackles, Holley made a total of 107 defensive plays this season, good for second place among all league players.
A 24-year-old Ottawa Lake, Mich., native, Holley is the third Stampeder in four years to be the West nominee for the Most Outstanding Rookie award. DaVaris Daniels won the award in 2016 while Marken Michel was a finalist in 2017.
Since the award was first presented in 1972, Calgary players have won the top-rookie prize a total of five times - Daniels in 2016, Brett Jones in 2013, Nik Lewis in 2004, Kelvin Anderson in 1996 and Harold Hallman in 1986.
Images from this story
Calgary Stampeders linebacker Nate Holley
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from November 7, 2019
- Davis and Moore fined following Week 21 - CFL
- Tune-In Details Announced for CFL Semi-Final Sunday - CFL
- Colquhoun Returns from Injured List - EE Football Team
- Dickenson, Fajardo and Judge Named West Division Award Winners - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Fajardo and Banks Headline 2019 Shaw CFL Awards Finalists - CFL
- Muamba and Wieneke nominated for Most Outstanding Canadian and Most Outstanding Rookie in the CFL - Montreal Alouettes
- Banks, Lawrence, Van Zeyl, Williams & Steinauer up for 2019 CFL Awards - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Three Blue Bombers to Represent West Division at CFL Awards - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Holley is West's Most Outstanding Rookie - Calgary Stampeders
- More Than 20,000 Fans Expected for the Eastern Semi-Final - Montreal Alouettes
- Lions Lock up Lemar Durant Thru 2021 - B.C. Lions
- Maver Repeats as Herm Harrison Award Winner - Calgary Stampeders
- Argos Sign American OL Dontavius Blair - Toronto Argonauts
- Blue Bombers Sign Players to Futures Contracts - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.