Hillsboro Rolls to 11-0 Victory in Series Opener
The Hillsboro Hops defeated the Tri-City Dust Devils by a score of 11-0 while mashing an unrelenting 18 hits.
In their first game after a well-deserved off day, the Hillsboro attack looked rested and fierce. Led by California native Ryan Dobson's four-hit, four-run day, the Hops outhit the Dust Devils to the tune of 18 hits to four.
Ryan Weiss started for the Hops, throwing a scoreless first and was relieved by Kenny Hernandez to begin the second inning. Hernandez was phenomenal, firing five shutout innings with four strikeouts.
The Hops jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, when catcher Andy Yerzy doubled in Dobson. In a night of odd-inning scoring, the Hops scored again in the bottom of the third on a Jose Caballero single to right, driving in Dobson again.
Dobson scored his third run of the night in the bottom of the fifth, via a Joey Rose double. Jake McCarthy joined the barrage driving in Rose with a single.
Hillsboro added four runs in the bottom of the seventh inning, when Caballero homered and the red-hot Jorge Perez doubled to clear the bases to build a comfortable 8-0 lead.
They were not done yet. Yerzy drove in Keshawn Lynch on a single up the middle. Rose launched a home run over the Frontier Family Berm at a whopping 427 feet to give the Hops the 11-0 final tally.
Weiss, Hernandez, Luis Castillo, Trevor McKenna, and Kei-Wei Lin combined for the shutout.
Hillsboro looks to continue their hot streak as Matt Tabor toes the rubber in Thursday night's contest with Tri-City.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Tri-City Held Scoreless - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Sox Explode on Volcanoes, 7-4 - Everett AquaSox
- Vavra Blasts Walk-Off Grand Slam to Beat Vancouver 6-5 - Boise Hawks
- Redband Rally Leads Indians to 8-7 Win in Series Opener - Spokane Indians
- Hillsboro Rolls to 11-0 Victory in Series Opener - Hillsboro Hops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hillsboro Hops Stories
- Hillsboro Hops to Transform into "Sonadores de Hillsboro" for Four Games During 2019 Season
- Hillsboro Hops & Ron Tonkin Field to Host MLB's Jr. Home Run Derby and Pitch, Hit & Run Contest
- 2019 Hops Coaching Staff Announced
- Ems End Hops Season with Playoff Sweep
- PK Playoff Nightmares Continue for Hops