Herd Finishes 2020 with 6-3 Loss to Fargo
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Sioux Falls Stampede capped of the year 2020 with a tough 6-3 loss to the Fargo Force at the PREMIER Center Thursday night. Forwards Garrett Pinoniemi, Jay Buchholz and JP Turner scored in the effort, while Noah Grannan made the start in net, stopping 24 of 29 shots on net.
The Sioux Falls Stampede were able to kick off the eve of the new year with a power player goal from Garrett Pinoniemi at the 7:50 mark of the first period. Defenseman Brent Johnson provided the assist that set up Pinoniemi on the outside of the left circle to snipe it past goaltender Brennan Boynton. The fifth goal of the season for the University of Minnesota recruit.
The Fargo Force responded with a pair of goals by Jacob Braccini and Matt Crasa just 25 seconds apart four minutes later to take the 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission.
The game quickly got out of reach in the second period when Fargo forward Erik Bargholtz scored his fourth goal of the season 2:44 into the period. Forward Tristan Broz piled on with his fifth goal of the season to take a 4-1 lead. Stampede forward Jay Buchholz cut the lead in half with a goal of his own at the 18:20 point of the period, but again Fargo took the momentum away with a goal by Tyler Rollwagen to take a 5-2 lead into the third frame.
Forward JP Turner scored a goal on the power player assisted by Jack Smith 13:50 into the third period, but it would not be enough as Crasa scored on the empty-net to seal the 6-3 victory.
The Herd drops to 6-7-1 on the season and fourth in the Western Conference standings. The team returns to the ice at SCHEELS Arena in Fargo in a revenge game with the Force this Saturday with a 6:05 p.m. start time. Fans can catch the game streaming live at HockeyTV.com or listen live on KELO Radio 107.9 FM, 1320 AM or Kelo.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2020
- Buccaneers Edge Waterloo on Power Play Goal - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Lancers Upset Musketeers New Year's Eve Party, 4-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Drop New Year's Eve Battle to Stars - Tri-City Storm
- Herd Finishes 2020 with 6-3 Loss to Fargo - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Musketeers Drop 2020 Finale - Sioux City Musketeers
- Gamblers Win OT Thriller - Green Bay Gamblers
- Hawks Celebrate NYE Perfect Ten - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Force Close out 2020 with a Win - Fargo Force
- Storm Announce Captains for 2020-2021 Season - Tri-City Storm
- Noah Laba Commits to Colgate University - Lincoln Stars
- Hawks Set New Game Dates - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Storm Set for New Year's Eve Showdown against Stars - Tri-City Storm
- Gamblers Double up Team USA - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.