Herd Falls to Lakers Down the Stretch
OSHKOSH, Wis. - The Wisconsin Herd came up just short against the South Bay Lakers, 126-115, on Monday during the Milwaukee Bucks takeover night at Menominee Nation Arena.
The Herd came out hot in the first quarter, shooting 57.1 percent from the field and knocking down five threes. The strong start allowed Wisconsin to go up by as many as 14 points with 6:07 left to play in the first, but the Lakers slowed down their opponent in the final six minutes, with Wisconsin holding a 37-30 lead after the first quarter. The Herd were led by Bucks assignee Christian Wood's 13 points on four-for-six shooting.
South Bay gained some ground on Wisconsin in the second quarter, outscoring the Herd 30 to 28 to head into halftime down 60-65. Lakers guard Scott Machado had a big first half for his team, scoring double figures in both quarters to lead all players with 22 points at the break.
After keeping the Herd within arm's reach in the third, the Lakers erupted in the final frame. The game saw its first lead change with 9:56 left to play - and six more after that - but South Bay quickly took control of the tight game, outscoring Wisconsin 26-17 from that point forward to earn the win.
Wisconsin had six players score in double figures, led by Xavier Munford's 27-point outing. The guard filled the stat sheet with five rebounds, five assists and three steals. Bucks assignee Christian Wood notched his 12th consecutive double-double for the Herd with his 26-point, 13-rebound night.
Machado propelled his team to victory, pouring in a career-high 40 points and a season-high 16 assists. Spencer Hawes and Jemerrio Jones also set career scoring marks with 23 and 19 points, respectively. Jones added 18 rebounds, tying his personal best.
The Herd continues their final homestand of the season on Wednesday, where they will take on the Delaware Blue Coats. To purchase tickets, go to wisconsinherd.com or call a Herd sales representative at (920) 233-HERD.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 12, 2019
- Vipers Fall at Home to Salt Lake City - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Charge Drop Back-And-Forth Affair to Kings - Canton Charge
- Stockton Kings Clinch Playoff Spot - Stockton Kings
- Jeremy Lin Joins Danny Green on His Podcast to Relive the D-League Grind - Stockton Kings
- Wisconsin Herd Teams up with Bergstrom Automotive to Support Make-A-Wish Wisconsin - Wisconsin Herd
- Wizards Assign Chasson Randle to Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Red Claws Add Maverick Rowan - Maine Red Claws
- Dailymotion and NBA G League Announce Video Player Technology & Content Distribution Deal - G League
- Alize Johnson's Double-Double Not Enough at Raptors 905 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Hustle Fight off Surge from Sioux Falls, Earn Another Big Win - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Herd Falls to Lakers Down the Stretch - Wisconsin Herd
- Hustle Fight off Surge from Sioux Falls, Earn Another Big Win - Memphis Hustle
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Herd Stories
- 30 Reasons to Buy Wisconsin Herd Season Tickets
- Wisconsin Herd Acquires Gerard Tarin and Draft Pick from Sioux Falls
- Wisconsin Herd Acquires D.J. Hogg and Three 2019 Draft Picks from Delaware
- Wisconsin Herd Adds to Coaching Staff
- Wisconsin Herd Announces 2019-20 Season Schedule