Heat Defeated by Bulldogs to Open Road Trip
Hamilton, ON - The Abbotsford Heat were edged 2-0 by the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens) to open their seven-game road trip.
Dustin Tokarski made 27 saves to post his second consecutive shutout, giving the Bulldogs their eighth win in eleven games. Hamilton native Joey Tenute scored to put the home team up by a goal, before an empty net marker would seal the win in the final minutes of play.
The Bulldogs opened the scoring in the late stages of the second period as Joey Tenute was set up by Patrick Holland at the Heat blue line. Tenute scored on a backhand off the rush. The referee ruled no goal until video replay confirmed the puck had gone in to the Abbotsford net. The Bulldogs led 1-0 after 40 minutes.
The Heat were handed their fourth penalty of the night with 2:18 remaining in regulation, and pulled goalie Leland Irving in the late stages of the penalty kill. The Bulldogs scored into the empty net with just 34 seconds remaining in the game to seal the win.
Leland Irving made 21 saves on 22 shots and the Heat outshot the Bulldogs 27-23 in the loss. Tokarski now has five shutouts on the season.
Abbotsford did not score on four power play opportunities, while the penalty kill erased three-of-four Hamilton man advantages. The lone power play goal-against came in the final minute of play, into an empty net.
The Heat will return to action on Friday in Rochester (AHL affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres) with their first game of three in three nights. The Heat then visit the Toronto Marlies (AHL affiliate of the Toronto Maple Leafs) on Saturday afternoon before returning to Rochester on Sunday for their final game of the season against the Americans.
For tickets and more information on the Heat, please call 1-877-452-HEAT(4328) or visit us online at www.AbbotsfordHeat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2013
- Monarchs Big Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Earn Point in Comeback against Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Gragnani's Overtime Goal Sinks Norfolk - Charlotte Checkers
- Monarchs Beat Sound Tigers 3-2 in Overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blackhawks Assign Bollig to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- "Purple Community Game" Kicks off Busy Weekend for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons 'irish Night' Jerseys Go On The Auction Block Wednesday Night - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks Ready for First Three-In-Three Stretch of the Season this Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Sign Defenseman Mathieu Brisebois to Entry-Level Contract - Portland Pirates
- Marlies Drop Crunch in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toronto Marlies
- Drazenovic, Dainton Rejoin Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Fall to the Marlies 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Bears Release Forward Evan Barlow - Hershey Bears
- Flames Reassign Danny Taylor and Activate Mikka Kiprusoff from Injured Reserve - Abbotsford Heat
- Rangers Claim Defenseman Roman Hamrlik off Waivers - Connecticut Whale
- Wellwood Returned to ADK - Adirondack Phantoms
- Blues Sign Prospects Edmundson and Veilleux - Peoria Rivermen
- Francis Wathier Called up to Dallas - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Bartley Recalled by Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Recall Shawn Szydlowski from Fort Worth - Rochester Americans
- Blues Recall Goaltender Jake Allen - Peoria Rivermen
- Phantoms Weekly - Weekend Homestand - Adirondack Phantoms
- Heat Defeated by Bulldogs to Open Road Trip - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.