Hawks End Strong Road Trip with Loss
Appleton, WI - Even with a 5-2 loss to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Monday afternoon, the South Bend Silver Hawks return home from their longest road trip of the season with six wins in 10 games away from the Cove.
South Bend jumped out to an early lead with a two out top of the first rally against Efrain Nieves (WP, 3-5). A.J. Pollock singled with two away and scored on a double from Marc Krauss for the 1-0 lead. That would be the only run allowed by Nieves in his 5.0 innings, allowing four hits and striking out seven.
Wisconsin answered immediately, tying the game before Ryan Cook (LP, 6-8) got an out. Juan Sanchez started the bottom of the first with a walk, and scored on a double from Peter Fatse. Fatse reached as far as third with one out, but was thrown out at the plate on a fielder's choice, leaving the game tied at 1-1.
The Timber Rattlers tacked on another run in the bottom of the fifth. With one out, Sean McCraw had an infield single, but was erased on a fielder's choice by Michael Marseco. Marseco stole second, and came in to score when Juan Sanchez bounced one off of Victor Estevez at short for a RBI single, putting Wisconsin up 2-1 after five innings.
Brock Kjeldgaard's 14th home run of the year came with two outs in the sixth inning, putting Wisconsin up 3-1 on the solo blast. The Timber Rattlers scored two more in the seventh, with Marseco driving home a run with a triple and Sanchez adding a sacrifice fly. All five runs were charged to Cook, who suffered his eighth loss of the year.
The Silver Hawks had two threats in the middle innings, loading the bases with two outs against Nieves in the fifth, and putting runners at first and second with one out against reliever Brandon Ritchie (ND) in the sixth. Nieves struck out Pollock to end the fifth inning, with Ritchie getting a double play from Rossmel Perez to end the sixth.
South Bend brought the tying run to the plate a few times in the top of the ninth, loading the bases with nobody out. Isaias Asencio had a sacrifice fly to score Alberto Diaz making it a 5-2 ballgame. Nick Tyson (SV, 5) was brought in to get the final two outs, leading Wisconsin to the series win.
After an off day Tuesday, the Silver Hawks are back at Coveleski Stadium Wednesday to open up a six game home stand beginning with three against the Kane County Cougars. Game time Wednesday is scheduled for 7:00 PM Eastern Time with LHP Taylor Sinclair (2-3, 3.80 ERA) expected to be activated from the DL to start for South Bend. Kane County is scheduled to start RHP Shawn Haviland (6-5, 4.08 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:40 PM on 1620 ESPN Radio and online at www.silverhawks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 13, 2009
- Pugh Makes First Start of Season - Beloit Snappers
- Putkonen, clutch hits give 'Caps win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees come stinging back to win - Burlington Bees
- Bees come back, take rubber match 7-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits pull off another extra-inning win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps fade in 5-2 loss to Peoria - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Take Series with 5-2 Win Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels complete sweep of Dragons, 6-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Conclude Road Trip with Convincing Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Blanked by Loons in Finale - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Defeat Dragons 6-2 on Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Nieves and Rattlers Have a Nice Day - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hawks End Strong Road Trip with Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Nunez Suspended, Perez Promoted - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Mega-Candy Drop will make kids' wildest dreams come true! - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Huge Homestand on the Horizon for Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Tomorrow, July 14th - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Figueroa Named MWL Hitter of the Week - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Mega Candy Drop at Modern Wooman Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday July 13th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Silver Hawks Stories
- Silver Hawks Set New Single Season Attendance Record
- Hot Rods Lap Hawks in Fast and Furious Sixth Inning
- Hawks Hold Back Tempest, Calm Whitecaps 5-3
- Silver Hawks' Players Named as 2014 Midwest League Post Season All-Stars
- Hawks Top 'Caps on Williams' Walk-Off Blast