Cougars Blanked by Loons in Finale
GENEVA, Ill. - The Kane County Cougars wrapped up a six-game home stand Monday afternoon with an 8-0 loss at the hands of the Great Lakes Loons. Even with the defeat, the Cougars won the series and went 4-2 on the week-long stretch at home. They are off Tuesday after a road trip begins Wednesday.
One outing after a seven-inning shutout effort, Cougars starter Mathieu Leblanc-Poirier (1-2) gave up seven runs on 10 hits in four-plus innings in a loss. He gave up two in the first, one in the second, one in fourth and two in the fifth before leaving without recording an out. Matt Fitts tossed three innings of shutout relief, and Scott Deal yielded one run in two innings.
The Cougars, who were shut out for the fifth time this season, managed five hits and stranded seven, sending the minimum to the plate five times. Justin Miller (5-5) picked up the win for the Loons (7-11, 47-41).
The Cougars (11-7, 52-36) begin a six-game road trip Wednesday night at 6 CDT with the start of a three-game series against the South Bend Silver Hawks (8-10, 35-51). Shawn Haviland (6-5, 4.08) will oppose Taylor Sinclair (2-3, 3.80).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 13, 2009
- Pugh Makes First Start of Season - Beloit Snappers
- Putkonen, clutch hits give 'Caps win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees come stinging back to win - Burlington Bees
- Bees come back, take rubber match 7-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits pull off another extra-inning win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps fade in 5-2 loss to Peoria - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Take Series with 5-2 Win Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels complete sweep of Dragons, 6-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Conclude Road Trip with Convincing Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Blanked by Loons in Finale - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Defeat Dragons 6-2 on Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Nieves and Rattlers Have a Nice Day - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hawks End Strong Road Trip with Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Nunez Suspended, Perez Promoted - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Mega-Candy Drop will make kids' wildest dreams come true! - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Huge Homestand on the Horizon for Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Tomorrow, July 14th - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Figueroa Named MWL Hitter of the Week - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Mega Candy Drop at Modern Wooman Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday July 13th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.