Huge Homestand on the Horizon for Whitecaps
Fifth Third Ballpark will be the place to be when the Whitecaps return home to kick off a six-game homestand against the Peoria Chiefs and the Kane County Cougars.
The homestand kicks off Wednesday, July 15 against the Chicago Cubs affiliate Peoria Chiefs at 7:00 p.m. The host of the Travel Channel's Man vs. Food, Adam Richman, will be taking on the world famous Fifth Third Burger while taping an episode of his show at the ballpark. Wednesday is Priority Health Wellness Wednesday. Fans are encouraged to stay for a post-game lap around the warning track and a Farm Bureau Insurance fireworks show.
July 16 is 70s night at the ballpark. The Whitecaps will wear alternate jerseys resembling the classic Houston Astros jerseys. It's also an Altogas Thrifty Thursday, fans can purchase two hot dogs, 20 oz. beers, 22 oz. sodas and soft pretzels for $2 each. There will be a post-game party on the Miller Lite House Deck with funk band Funkilinium.
The series finale with Peoria is set for Friday, July 17 at 7:00 p.m. It's also a Wendy's Tiger Friday with former Tiger John Wockenfuss. The first 1,000 fans will receive a John Wockenfuss bobblehead. Gates open at 6:00 p.m. After the game, the annual 97 WLAV Field of Dreams promotion will take place on the field.
The Whitecaps welcome in Kane County on Saturday, July 18. The first 1,000 fans will receive Comcast t-shirts and a Farm Bureau Insurance fireworks show will follow the game. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. Gates open at 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, July 19 is Dog Day presented by Butler Animal Health. Fans are encouraged to bring their dogs to the 2:00 p.m. game. Sunday is a Helen DeVos Children's Hospital Family Day. The first 1,000 kids eat free. Fans are also welcome to play catch on the field before the game and children can run the bases after the game, courtesy of Lake Michigan Credit Union. Also, the first 1,500 fans will receive a Whitecaps team photo courtesy of Holliday Inn Express North.
The Whitecaps will hold another Bike to the Ballpark event on July 19. Fans can meet at Rogue River Park at noon on Sunday for free hot dogs and then ride their bikes to Fifth Third Ballpark.
The homestand ends on Monday, July 20 at 7:00 p.m. Monday is JQ99 All Faiths Night. Fans get half off a box or reserved seat when they show a church or community bulletin. It's also High School Musical 2 Night at the ballpark. Cast members from the Civic Theatre production of High School Musical 2 will be performing dance numbers from the show between innings.
Besides the great off-field activities going on during the homestand, some great baseball will be on display. Peoria's roster features three of the Chicago Cubs' top 15 prospects including Ryan Flaherty, Junior Lake and Jovan Rosa.
Kane County won the Western Division first half title and has one of the best pitching staffs in the league. Right-hander Kenny Smalley leads the league with a 2.13 ERA and lefty Anthony Capra sits third in the league with 86 strikeouts.
Individual and group tickets are on sale and can be purchased at the West Michigan Glass Block Ticket Office at Fifth Third Ballpark, by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 13, 2009
- Pugh Makes First Start of Season - Beloit Snappers
- Putkonen, clutch hits give 'Caps win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees come stinging back to win - Burlington Bees
- Bees come back, take rubber match 7-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits pull off another extra-inning win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps fade in 5-2 loss to Peoria - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Take Series with 5-2 Win Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels complete sweep of Dragons, 6-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Conclude Road Trip with Convincing Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Blanked by Loons in Finale - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Defeat Dragons 6-2 on Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Nieves and Rattlers Have a Nice Day - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hawks End Strong Road Trip with Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Nunez Suspended, Perez Promoted - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Mega-Candy Drop will make kids' wildest dreams come true! - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Huge Homestand on the Horizon for Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Tomorrow, July 14th - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Figueroa Named MWL Hitter of the Week - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Mega Candy Drop at Modern Wooman Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday July 13th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.