Putkonen, clutch hits give 'Caps win
BELOIT, WI- Luke Putkonen tossed seven strong innings, allowing just one run as the West Michigan Whitecaps topped the Beloit Snappers, 7-3, Monday night at Pohlman Field. The Caps win the series two-games-to-one and split the six-game road trip.
The Whitecaps started the scoring in the first inning when Brent Wyatt raced home on a passed ball by Snappers' catcher Danny Rams. On the play, Ben Guez moved to third and then came home on Billy Nowlin's sacrifice fly for a 2-0 Caps' lead.
Beloit drew within one in the fifth inning as James Beresford singled home Michael Harrington with two outs.
West Michigan jumped in front, 4-1 in the top of the sixth due to some clutch hitting and bad battery work. Bryan Pounds walked, moved to third on two wild pitches, and scored on Jordan Lennerton's RBI double. Lennerton worked his way to third on another passed ball by Danny Rams and then came home when Mike Gosse flared a pitch down the left field line with two outs.
A key play defensively for the Caps occurred in the bottom of the seventh. Nate Hanson led off with a single. Luke Putkonen then picked up his sixth strikeout, and he got Angel Morales to roll into a key double play to end the inning.
The Whitecaps put the game away in the eighth with three additional runs. Three straight hits from Ben Guez, Bryan Pounds, and Billy Nowlin helped the Caps score their first run of the inning. Mike Gosse delivered a sacrifice fly, and Avisail Garcia's RBI fielder's choice produced the next two.
After the league-wide off day on Tuesday, the Whitecaps will open up a six-game homes stand starting on Wednesday night against the Peoria Chiefs. Wednesday's game is set to begin at 7:00 p.m. at Fifth Third Ballpark with fireworks to follow the game.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 13, 2009
- Pugh Makes First Start of Season - Beloit Snappers
- Putkonen, clutch hits give 'Caps win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees come stinging back to win - Burlington Bees
- Bees come back, take rubber match 7-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits pull off another extra-inning win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps fade in 5-2 loss to Peoria - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Take Series with 5-2 Win Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels complete sweep of Dragons, 6-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Conclude Road Trip with Convincing Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Blanked by Loons in Finale - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Defeat Dragons 6-2 on Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Nieves and Rattlers Have a Nice Day - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hawks End Strong Road Trip with Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Nunez Suspended, Perez Promoted - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Mega-Candy Drop will make kids' wildest dreams come true! - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Huge Homestand on the Horizon for Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Tomorrow, July 14th - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Figueroa Named MWL Hitter of the Week - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Mega Candy Drop at Modern Wooman Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday July 13th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.