Bandits pull off another extra-inning win
The Quad Cities River Bandits played into extra innings for the third time in five games, outlasting the Clinton LumberKings for a 5-4 win after 12 innings of play on Monday afternoon at Modern Woodmen Park.
After playing a total of 21 innings and nearly six hours between a pair of extra-inning wins during Thursday's doubleheader, Quad Cities (8-9, 38-49) went another four hours and 10 minutes in their 12-inning victory on Monday. Clinton (7-11, 47-41) was cruising towards an apparent victory until Jon Edwards turned things around with one late swing of the bat, propelling the home team to a 4-1 homestand.
The River Bandits trailed 4-2 into the bottom of the eighth before rallying against Clinton's vaunted relief corps to even the score. Entering play with a 2.69 bullpen ERA, the LumberKings brought closer Ruben Flores in for the eighth inning. But after Jack Cawley extended the frame with a two-out single, Edwards cranked a two-run bomb to left that tied the game at 4-4. That snapped a string of nine consecutive converted saves for Flores, who blew a save for the first time since May 27.
The deadlock lingered into the 12th inning, when Edwards sparked the game-winning rally with a bouncing ball single to left. Pinch runner Travis Mitchell advanced to third on a bunt and an error, setting the stage for Frederick Parejo to step in with the bases loaded and nobody out. Down in the count 0-2, the 19-year-old outfielder lifted a fly ball to right that was deep enough to score Mitchell for a 5-4 final courtesy of the game-winning sacrifice fly.
Ramon Delgado (6-2) earned the win, capping eight scoreless innings form the Quad Cities bullpen with two frames of shutout ball. Greg Moviel (2-2) suffered the loss for Clinton, allowing the decisive run on two hits and recording his only out on the game-ending sacrifice fly.
Initially, the River Bandits took the first lead of the game in the bottom of the third thanks to one big swing by Alex Castellanos. After Parejo started the frame with a leadoff walk, Castellanos belted an 0-1 pitch out of the yard to left, giving Quad Cities a 2-0 lead with his fifth home run of the year.
Over the ensuing innings, however, the LumberKings seized a lead of their own. Nate Tenbrink delivered the last of three singles in the fourth inning, driving home Kris Sanchez to put Clinton on the board. After a wild pitch allowed the game-tying run to score in the fifth, Luis Nunez chimed in with a two-run single that suddenly staked the LumberKings to a 4-2 edge.
UP NEXT: The River Bandits will take Tuesday off before embarking on a six-game road trip to Dayton and Fort Wayne, returning to the Quad Cities for a six-game homestand beginning July 22.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 13, 2009
- Pugh Makes First Start of Season - Beloit Snappers
- Putkonen, clutch hits give 'Caps win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees come stinging back to win - Burlington Bees
- Bees come back, take rubber match 7-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits pull off another extra-inning win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps fade in 5-2 loss to Peoria - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Take Series with 5-2 Win Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels complete sweep of Dragons, 6-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Conclude Road Trip with Convincing Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Blanked by Loons in Finale - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Defeat Dragons 6-2 on Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Nieves and Rattlers Have a Nice Day - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hawks End Strong Road Trip with Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Nunez Suspended, Perez Promoted - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Mega-Candy Drop will make kids' wildest dreams come true! - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Huge Homestand on the Horizon for Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Tomorrow, July 14th - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Figueroa Named MWL Hitter of the Week - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Mega Candy Drop at Modern Wooman Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday July 13th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.