Haines, Richardson Lead Aviators to Fourth Straight Win
The Aviators got an excellent performance from pitcher Tim Haines and a couple of long homeruns to beat the Fort Worth Cats 4-2. The win is the fourth straight for Coastal Bend, their longest streak of the season to date. Haines was called upon unexpectedly to enter the game after starting pitcher Pedro Flores left due to an injury in the top of the second inning. Haines responded by throwing 6.2 innings and allowing just 1 run before giving way to closer Tom Atlee in the ninth.
Coastal Bend trailed 2-1 in the bottom of the fifth when Juan Figueroa drew a 2-out walk. First baseman Grant Richardson then stepped in and launched a 2 run homerun to left field off Fort Worth starter Lee Gwaltney, his second long ball of the year. The game remained 3-2 until the bottom of the eighth when Stephen Morales added some insurance with a left field bomb of his own for a 4-2 cushion. Atlee worked a scoreless ninth to earn his 7th save.
Left fielder Matt Spencer also had a good night at the plate for Coastal Bend, going 2 for 3 with 2 walks. JD Foust aided the Aviator cause with 2 hits and a run scored. Unfortunately, leadoff man Brian Fryer, who has been red hot, failed to reach base for the first time in 19 games, ending an on-base streak that was the fourth longest in the American Association this season.
Aaron Marsden pitched well in relief for Fort Worth allowing 1 run on 2 hits in 3 innings of work. With the win, Tim Haines improves to 1-3 while Gwaltney falls to 2-1. The Aviators record now stands at 18-20. They'll go for the 3 game sweep of this series tomorrow as Kevin Hull (4-2) will face Cory Walters (4-2). First pitch is at 7:05pm. The game can be heard locally on KOPY 1070 AM and online.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 20, 2007
- American Association Recap - AA
- Pelicans Sweep Double Dip, Extend Win Streak to Three - Pensacola Pelicans
- Diablos Beat Up St. Joe's, 8-2 - El Paso Diablos
- Haines, Richardson Lead Aviators to Fourth Straight Win - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Saints Survive Scare, 8-6 - St. Paul Saints
- Late Runs Finish Canaries, 9-3 - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Pelicans Partner With Council On Aging For Senior Chill Out - Pensacola Pelicans
- Canaries Acquire New Second Baseman In Trade - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.