Growlers Win Game 2, 4-2
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs fell to the Newfoundland Growlers by a score of 4-2, Saturday night from the Mile One Centre.
The Monarchs (5-2-0-0) and Growlers (5-3-0-0) were tied at one for over 40 minutes, before the Growlers pulled away in the final 1:29 to take Game 2 and even the series, 1-1.
Manchester started the scoring at 5:11 of the first period on the first goal of the playoffs by Craig Wyszomirski. Tony Cameranesi won a faceoff in the offensive zone back to Wyszomirski at the point, where he wristed a shot inside the post, past the blocker of Growlers goaltender Michael Garteig, giving the Monarchs a 1-0 lead.
Newfoundland responded at 7:47 of the first period on the second goal of the playoffs by Josh Kestner. Kestner one-timed a shot from the top of the left circle that found its way through traffic in front of Monarchs goaltender Charles Williams and past his pad, making the score, 1-1.
The Growlers took the lead at 12:47 of the third period on the second goal of the playoffs by Brady Ferguson. After a save by Williams, Ferguson followed up the shot at the top of the crease and lifted it over the shoulder of Williams to make the score, 2-1.
Manchester responded at 13:42 of the third period on the third goal of the playoffs by Pavel Jenys. Chris Carlisle wristed a shot from the left point, where Jenys tipped the puck on the way to the net, beating Garteig and making the score, 2-2.
The Growlers took the lead for good at 18:31 of the third period on the fourth goal of the playoffs by Zach O'Brien. After an offensive zone faceoff win, O'Brien sniped a shot over the blocker of Williams, making the score, 3-2.
Newfoundland added an empty-net goal at 19:35 of the third on the first goal of the playoffs by Derian Plouffe and came away with a 4-2 victory over the Monarchs.
Tickets to see your Monarchs in the second round of the playoffs can be purchased. Contact the Monarchs front office for Pay as We Play playoff tickets, at 603-626-7825 or click HERE to sign up.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 27, 2019
- Brick Wall Booth: Goaltender's Career Night Leads 'Blades to OT Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Tie Series in Special Teams Battle - Cincinnati Cyclones
- GROWLERS RECAP | Growlers Defeat the Monarchs 4-2, Tie Series - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Win Game 2, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 27 - ECHL
- Preview: Everblades Eye Bounce-Back Win in Game 2 against Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Central Division Final, Game 2 vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- McAuley Scores in OT to Lift Solar Bears to Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.