Greensboro Swarm Fall to Lakeland Magic
(ORLANDO, F.L.) - The Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, fell to the Lakeland Magic (Orlando Magic affiliate), 110-95, on Monday at HP Field House at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort. Kobi Simmons had a game-high 25 points to go with six assists and four rebounds in 42 minutes for the Swarm (4-8), scoring over 20 points for the sixth time this season.
The Swarm had strong performances from the Hornets assignees, Vernon Carey Jr. and Nick Richards. Carey Jr. scored 18 points on 9-of-19 shooting from the field and pulled down nine rebounds in 26 minutes. Richards came off the bench and added 19 points and eight rebounds in 22 minutes.
However it was the 3-point shooting of the Magic (7-5) that paved the way to victory. Lakeland shot 40 percent from deep (18-for-45) with four players making at least three each (Devin Cannady, Billy Garrett, Andrew Rowsey, Robert Franks). Meanwhile the Swarm hit six threes, paced by four makes from Simmons.
Lakeland's leading scorer was Mamadi Diakite, who had 21 points and 12 rebound. Rowsey scored 18 points off the bench to lead their reserves. Franks had a double-double as his evening finished with 13 points and 11 rebounds.
For the Swarm, Ray McCallum had 16 points and nine assists in 40 minutes in his first start of the season while KJ McDaniels (eight points, seven rebounds) had a strong night off the bench. Greensboro was without Grant Riller, Xavier Sneed, Ahmed Hill and Jeff Roberson due to injury. The shuffling of the lineup saw two-way player Nate Darling make his first start of the season as well.
The Swarm return to the court on Wednesday, March 3, against the Austin Spurs (San Antonio Spurs affiliate). The 3:30 p.m. ET tip inside HP Field House will be streamed on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 1, 2021
- Clippers Beat by Hustle despite 43 from Fitts and Ford - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Greensboro Swarm Fall to Lakeland Magic - Greensboro Swarm
- Charge Fall to 905 in OT - Canton Charge
- Warriors Recall Jordan Poole and Transfer Nico Mannion to Golden State - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Blue Coats Beat NBA G League Ignite for Eighth Win - Delaware Blue Coats
- Blue Falls to Nets in Overtime - Oklahoma City Blue
- Long Island Nets Outlast Blue in Overtime - Long Island Nets
- Hustle Fall to Wolves Despite Big Games from Boatwright and Stockton - Memphis Hustle
- Knicks Fall to Wolves - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm, PNC Bank Team up for Third Season to Support Guilford Child Development
- Hornets Recall Vernon Carey Jr. and Nick Richards from Greensboro Swarm
- Simmons Shines as Swarm Conclude Single-Site Season
- Greensboro Drops Close Game to Fort Wayne
- Greensboro Swarm Fall to Lakeland Magic