Goupil, Special Teams Lead Bucks Over IceRays 6-3
Special teams were the difference at the Laredo Entertainment Center on Thursday Night in the second straight meeting between the Corpus Christi IceRays and Laredo Bucks. The Bucks scored two power play goals and added a pair of shorthanded tallies en route to a 6-3 victory. The Bucks were led by Alex Goupil who paced the Bucks scoring with a hat trick. The loss for the IceRays was their third straight and the win was the Bucks third in a row. The IceRays look to rebound on home ice on Friday and Saturday Night as they return to the American Bank Center. Tickets are on sale for both games. Call 361-814-PUCK for more information.
The IceRays wasted no time jumping on the scoreboard. After an outlet pass from Bucks netminder Sebastien Centomo was intercepted, Mike Zbriger found the puck at the left corner of the crease and tallied his fourth goal of the year 22 seconds into the hockey game. The Bucks tied the score when Darryl Smith converted a two-on-one feed from Jeff Bes at 5:41. The IceRays regained their advantage midway through the period when Justin Quenneville shot the puck off a Bucks defenseman and into the net at 10:03. Laredo tied the score once again with a last minute goal in the first period when Alex Goupil's one-timer from the right point whistled past Kris Tebbs to tie the score at 2-2. The Bucks outshot the IceRays 11-9 in the opening period.
In the second period it was the Bucks who jumped out and scored quickly. Alex Goupil scored a shorthanded goal at 1:48 to give the Bucks their first lead of the night. Goupil then netted his third straight goal on a Bucks two-man advantage, converting a rebound at 9:14 to make it 4-2 Laredo. The IceRays sliced the Bucks lead in half when Quenneville tabbed his second redirecting a T.J. Reynolds shot from the left point at 12:48 for his second of the game. But the Bucks shorthanded unit struck again to regain their two-goal lead. At 14:55 Darryl Smith scored on a shorthanded breakaway to give the Bucks a 5-3 lead after two periods.
In the third period, the only goal scored came 12 seconds into the frame by Laredo's Jeff Bes after his rebound deflected in off of an IceRays skate and into the Corpus Christi net. The IceRays finished 1-13 on the power play and the Bucks were 2-11. The Bucks outshot the IceRays 33-28. Kris Tebbs (1-2) took the loss making 27 saves on 33 shots and Sebastien Centomo (4-1) earned the win turning aside 25 of 28 Corpus Christi shots.
The IceRays return home for a pair of games this weekend. On Friday Night it's Harley Davidson Men's Night, presented by Classic Rock 104.5FM on Frosty Friday's. The IceRays host the Bucks and fans in attendance will receive half-priced 24 oz. beers. Plus, on Halloween, there will be an adult and child costume contest at the game with each winner receiving $100 cash. Then on Saturday the IceRays host the Oklahoma City Blazers on Caller-Times Family Night. Fans can pick up a Family Four Pack of tickets in most sections for just $32. Tickets are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets or the American Bank Center Box Office. For more information on both games, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 30, 2008
- Goupil, Special Teams Beat Rays - Laredo Bucks
- Penner, Eagles Hand Mudbugs Their First Loss - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Brahmas Lose in Overtime, 2-1 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Ftorek, Gorillas Capture First Win of 2008-09 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Goupil, Special Teams Lead Bucks Over IceRays 6-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Eagles' PK, Record Perfect; Team Now 7-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Ex-Oilers Add Color; Budaj Added To Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- RiverKings Acquire Summers From Laredo - Mississippi RiverKings
- CHL Partners with Yellowbook - CHL
- Oilers Alumni broadcasters; Budaj Added - Tulsa Oilers
- Bucks Make More Moves, Trade Summers - Laredo Bucks
- Bucks Sign Penney, Judd To IR - Laredo Bucks
- Spend Halloween Night With the Scorps - New Mexico Scorpions
- CHL Introduces Create a Card Program - CHL
- Bucks Host Ice Rays Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale