Gold's Fourth Quarter Comeback Falls Short to Wolves
DES MOINES, IA - The Grand Rapids Gold (1-2) fell to the Iowa Wolves (3-0) after high contested shooting battle, resulting with a final score of 124-109.
The Gold had huge performances across the roster. Nik Stauskus led the Gold for the second-straight game, earning 27 points on 47.% shooting (8-17) and 44.4% from the three (4-9), in addition to 6 rebounds and 4 assists. Matt Ryan had no issue converting shots tonight, adding 23 points, shooting 42.9% from the field and 50% (5-10) from beyond the arc in addition to 2 steals. Guard Marcus Burk tallied up 17 points for the Gold along with 3 assists and 2 steals. Nuggets two-way player Peter Cornelie recorded a solid double-double with 10 points, 15 rebounds, 6 assists and 4 blocks. Other Gold players in double digits were NBA veteran Lance Stephenson (13 points and 6 rebs) and Trevon Duval (10 pts and 5 assists).
Timberwolves two-way player Mckinley Wright commanded the court with 30 points to go along with 8 rebounds and 7 assists. Leandro Bolmaro followed up with 22 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Brian Bowen II added 19 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. Other Timberwolves in double digits were Chris Silva (16 pts, 7 rebs and 2 steals) and Isaiah Briscoe (16 pts, 6 assists and 2 steals).
The top two rebounding teams in the league lived up to the intensity of that accolade tonight, with both teams going head-to-head on the stat line for the entire contest. Although, the Wolves found a rhythm with their offense late in the third, igniting a double-digit lead going into the fourth. Ultimately, the Wolves were able to maintain the lead due to the Gold's turnover margin. The Gold gave up 32 points with 24 turnovers, compared to only 15 points from the opposing team.
The Gold will seek redemption against the Wolves on Wednesday, November 17 before heading to Grand Rapids for their home opener on November 23. Tip-off for the GRG at IWA is at 6:30 PM local time. Watch live on ESPN+
Full game highlights >>> https://bit.ly/3oy9aoL
Box Score >>> https://on.nba.com/3cdaUxW
Nik Stauskas >>> (27 pts, 6 rebs, 4 assists) https://bit.ly/3nlteLS
Matt Ryan >>> (23 pts, 2 steals) https://bit.ly/3oxmn11
Marcus Burk (17 pts, 3 assists, 2 steals) >>> https://bit.ly/3qVEkcH
Petr Cornelie (10 points, 15 rebs, 6 assists, 4 blocks) >>> https://bit.ly/3HsHsT9
Lance Stephenson (13 points, 6 rebs) https://bit.ly/3FoyggJ
Trevon Duval (10 pts, 5 assists) https://bit.ly/3kGvb3r
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 15, 2021
- Gold's Fourth Quarter Comeback Falls Short to Wolves - Grand Rapids Gold
- Iowa Wolves Remain Undefeated with 124-109 Victory over Grand Rapids Gold - Iowa Wolves
- Timberwolves Transfer Nathan Knight from G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Charge Acquire Norvel Pelle as Returning Player - Cleveland Charge
- Jordan Bell Named to USA Basketball Men's World Cup Qualifying Roster - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Brian Bowen II Named to USA World Cup Qualifying Team - Iowa Wolves
- Legends Acquire Deng Geu - Texas Legends
- BJ Johnson to Play for USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Lakeland Magic
- Vipers Weekly Update - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Two College Park Skyhawks Players Selected to Play in World Cup Qualifying - College Park Skyhawks
- Squadron Acquire Zach Hankins - Birmingham Squadron
- Timberwolves Move Two to the G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Comedian George Lopez to Perform at Kaiser Pemanente Arena - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hornets Assign Vernon Carey Jr. to Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Indiana Pacers Assign Isaiah Jackson to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Big Third Quarter Propels Clippers Past Stockton - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.