Goldeyes Hang on to Win Rubber Match in Sioux Falls
"Good way to finish the road trip," said Goldeyes' hitting coach Tom Vaeth. "It got a little exiting there, but outstanding job by the boys. It's that time of year where you have to go outside and play every day because you have teams breathing down your neck, so it is good to take care of business. It is great when you see your guys are tired that they can fight and grind through it like today, great to see your club is capable of that"
The Goldeyes started the scoring in the top of the fourth, Reggie Abercrombie led off with a double off the centre field wall and scored on a Shawn Pleffner RBI single to right field. David Bergin came to the plate and hit a two-run home run to left-centre that gave the Goldeyes the 3-0 lead.
The Canaries got on the board in the bottom of the seventh, Tyler Wolfe hit a first-pitch home run to left field and Patrick Fiala immediately followed with a solo home run to left that trimmed the Goldeyes lead to 3-2.
In the top of the eighth, Abercrombie walked, took second on a Pleffner ground-out and stole third, Bergin hit a sacrifice fly to centre field that scored Abercrombie and extended the lead to 4-2.
The Canaries battled back in the bottom of the ninth when Wolfe hit an infield single, and Fiala hit an RBI double to left-centre that scored Wolfe and brought the score to 4-3.
Goldeyes' starting pitcher Mikey O'Brien (7-4, 5.21) earned the win, allowing three hits and two earned runs, walking two and striking out six through six and one-third innings pitched.
"The ball was jumping out of his hand today," said Vaeth. "He had his fast ball down and away today, I almost wish he threw it a bit more. Another great start, he left a couple balls up there for the home runs but he settled down and got the out he needed."
Troy marks took the loss for the Canaries, allowing seven hits and three earned runs, walking two and striking out seven through six innings pitched.
Victor Capellan (1-4, 1.64) pitched one and two-third scoreless innings and struck out three in relief.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 10, 2017
- Saints Can'T Complete Sweep, Lose 9-4 in Finale to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Hang on to Win Rubber Match in Sioux Falls - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Celebrate St. Paddy's Day Early with the Sounds of Summer During August 10-13 Homestand - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Suffer Complete Game Shutout - Kansas City T-Bones
- Johnson's Homer Lifts Saltdogs to 6-5 Win in Wichita - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Solve McKenzie, RailCats Lose 4th - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Win by Committee, Saints Ride Four Arms, Six Extra Base Hits to 6-4 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Missed Opportunities, Johnson Homer Trip Up - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.