Giants Grab Point in OT Loss to Hurricanes
Langley, B.C. - The Vancouver Giants fell 4-3 in overtime on Saturday night to the Lethbridge Hurricanes at the Langley Events Centre.
The Giants' record falls to 8-12-2-0 this season.
Vancouver got a pair of goals from rookie Cameron Schmidt, plus a third period tally from Tyler Thorpe to go ahead 3-1, but the Hurricanes came back to tie the game before winning it 47 seconds into overtime.
The visitors got two goals from Kooper Gizowski, one from Leo Braillard, and the OT winner from defenceman Noah Chadwick.
The Hurricanes opened the scoring after Kooper Gizowski was open in the slot and rifled a shot top corner 5:19 into the first.
Just 40 seconds later, the Giants responded to even the score, after Mazden Leslie fed a perfect cross-ice pass to Schmidt, who was waiting just outside the crease and roofed it make the game 1-1.
Schmidt potted his second of the game less than a minute into the second period, after Ty Halaburda's shot missed the net, and Schmidt was able to quickly throw the puck on goal, where it hit the skate of goaltender Harrison Meneghin and into the Hurricanes net.
Vancouver took their 2-1 lead into the second intermission, though they trailed on the shot clock 23-16.
Lethbridge came out hungry in the third period.
The Giants weathered the storm for the first half of the period, getting an insurance marker from Tyler Thorpe at the 11:03 mark of the third to make the score 3-1 on his 10th goal of the season, but Lethbridge wouldn't go away.
With 4:59 left in the game, Braillard scored an unassisted goal to get Lethbridge to within a goal.
Then, with the goaltender pulled for the extra attacker, Gizowski banged home his second of the game following a bounce off the end boards to force overtime.
In the extra frame, Chadwick got free in the slot and fired a shot on the blocker side to end the game, burying his sixth goal of the season.
CLICK FOR ONLINE RECAP WITH GOAL CLIPS
THEY SAID IT
"We liked our compete level, we liked how we stuck in there and hung in there with a tough four in five here and obviously lapses in the last three minutes. The kids played hard. They competed hard. They're a pretty resilient group considering how tired they were...We need to find results and [get] two points, especially with where we are in the standings, so obviously games like that sting." - Associate Coach Adam Maglio Post-Game
SOG: VAN - 10/6/5 = 21 | LET - 13/10/16/2 = 41
PP: VAN - 0/0 | LET - 0/2
Face-Offs: VAN - 29 | LET - 32
1st: LET - Kooper Gizowski - 2G, 3 SOG
2nd: VAN - Cameron Schmidt - 2G, 4 SOG
3rd: LET - Noah Chadwick - OT Winning Goal, 5 SOG
Vancouver: Loss - Matthew Hutchison (37 saves / 41 shots)
Lethbridge: Win - Harrison Meneghin (18 saves / 21 shots)
Vancouver hits the road next week, with contests against Spokane (Wednesday) and Kamloops (Friday), before returning home Saturday for a date with the Tri-City Americans.
Images from this story
Vancouver Giants battle the Lethbridge Hurricanes
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 19, 2023
- Cowan, Bertholet Shine in Shootout as Chiefs Win Tight Contest Over Blazers - Spokane Chiefs
- Sotheran, Davies Strike Twice as Hawks Hold off Tips for 6-4 Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Comeback Falls Just Short in 6-4 Loss in Portland - Everett Silvertips
- Prince Albert Erases Two-Goal Lead, But Wild Win in Shootout Sunday, 4-3 - Wenatchee Wild
- Winterhawks Top Silvertips 6-4 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Hub: November 19 vs. Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Broncos Fall to Blades in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Chiefs Host Blazers in First Sunday Home Game of 2023-24 - Spokane Chiefs
- Cougars Claw Back in Third Period to Edge Rockets - Prince George Cougars
- Giants Grab Point in OT Loss to Hurricanes - Vancouver Giants
- Rockets Fall to Cougars - Kelowna Rockets
- Savoie's Natural Hat Trick Propels Wild to 8-6 Comeback Win at Chiefs - Wenatchee Wild
- Warriors Roll to Big Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Sidorov Puts on Show, Blades Beat Broncos 4-1 - Saskatoon Blades
- Spokane Chiefs Honor Native American Heritage, Fall 8-6 in Wild First Matchup with Wenatchee - Spokane Chiefs
- Rebels Edge Hitmen, 3-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Silvertips Shut Down by Seattle PK in 4-1 Loss - Everett Silvertips
- Late Push Falls Short as Wheat Kings Fall to Tigers - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Tigers Take out Wheat Kings in a Tight Eastern Conference Affair - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Forward Schmidt Named WHL Rookie of the Week
- Schmidt Nets 1st WHL Hat-Trick in 7-1 Win Over Blazers
- Cristall Leads Rockets To 4-1 Win Over Giants
- Giants Netminder Mirwald Named WHL Goalie of the Week Yet Again
- Giants Double up Chiefs 6-3 Thanks to Strong Third Period