Giants Forward Schmidt Scores Golden Goal for Canada at World U17 Hockey Challenge
Charlottetown, P.E.I. - Vancouver Giants forward Cameron Schmidt scored the overtime winner in the Gold Medal Game of the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge on Saturday night, 9:18 into the extra frame, helping Canada White edge the United States 2-1.
It was Canada's first gold medal at the tournament since 2015.
Canada White finished last in the round robin, but beat Canada Red in the semifinal 3-2 (OT) and then crushed Sweden in the semifinal 6-1. Schmidt was tied for fourth in the tournament in goals with five, doing so in eight games. All five of his goals came at even strength, including two in his team's semifinal win on Friday.
The Prince George product was named Player of the Game for Canada White twice in the tournament, first in the second round robin game when he scored two goals in a 4-3 win over Canada Red, and then in the semifinal victory over Sweden, when he also buried a pair of goals.
So far this season for the Giants, the 5-foot-7 forward has eight points in 10 games (3G-5A), including five points in his last four (1G-4A).
In total, there were six Western Hockey League players who were part of the gold medal-winning Canada White squad: Schmidt, Joby Baumuller (Brandon Wheat Kings), Koen Cleaver (Lethbridge Hurricanes), Blake Fiddler (Edmonton Oil Kings), Will Sharpe (Lethbridge Hurricanes) and Cole Temple (Regina Pats). Saskatoon Blades Head Coach Brennan Sonne also served as an assistant coach.
Goaltender Jack Ivankovic (Mississauga Steelheads) was named Player of the Game for Canada White in the Gold Medal Game, as he turned aside 34 of 35 shots.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 13, 2023
- Wheat Kings Add Forward Michels in Swap with Regina - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Wilson from Brandon for Michels - Regina Pats
- Rockets Tripped by Victoria in OT - Kelowna Rockets
- Winterhawks Weekly: Back on Home Ice with Wins in Three Straight - Portland Winterhawks
- Silvertips' Penalty Kill Makes History with Three-Goal Night - Everett Silvertips
- Schmidt Learns from Experience with Canada Red at World Under-17 - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Gabe Klassen Named WHL Player of the Week - Portland Winterhawks
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- Tigers Netminder May Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels this Week - Red Deer Rebels
- Giants Forward Schmidt Scores Golden Goal for Canada at World U17 Hockey Challenge - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers Athletic Therapist Lanuk Receives WHL Milestone Award - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tigers Athletic Therapist Lanuk Receives WHL Milestone Award - WHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Forward Schmidt Named WHL Rookie of the Week
- Schmidt Nets 1st WHL Hat-Trick in 7-1 Win Over Blazers
- Cristall Leads Rockets To 4-1 Win Over Giants
- Giants Netminder Mirwald Named WHL Goalie of the Week Yet Again
- Giants Double up Chiefs 6-3 Thanks to Strong Third Period