Giants Edged by Royals 3-1 Wednesday on the Island
Vancouver Giants left wing Zack Ostapchuk vs. the Victoria Royals
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Kevin Light)
Victoria, B.C. - Wednesday night in Victoria the Vancouver Giants (13-12-1-1) dropped a 3-1 decision to the Victoria Royals (14-8-2-0). Despite outshooting the Royals 34-20, they only managed to score once on goaltender Shane Farkas. Graeme Bryks, Keanu Derungs and Nolan Jones had goals for the Royals while Brandon Cutler supplied two assists. Cole Shepard had the lone goal for the Giants which came late in the third period.
VIC - 20 seconds into the game Graeme Bryks put Victoria ahead 1-0 when he parked himself in front of the Giants goal and one-timed home a feed from Brandon Cutler for his second of the season.
Shots: 7-4 Victoria
Shots: 18-6 Vancouver
VIC - Keanu Derungs extended Victoria's lead to 2-0 when he banged home a Gary Haden breakaway rebound. Haden was sprung free on a breakaway after leaving the penalty box, and Derungs followed up his attempt and knocked his seventh of the season home into the empty net.
VIC - 43 seconds later Nolan Jones scored his first of the season unassisted off a shot from the slot to make it 3-0 Royals.
VAN - At 18:18 of the third, Cole Shepard got the Giants on the board when he redirected a Justin Sourdif pass over the right shoulder of Shane Farkas from the high slot. Shepard's sixth of the season was also set up by Dylan Plouffe.
Shots: 12-7 Vancouver
Final Score: Victoria 3 - Vancouver 1
Final Shots: 34 - 20 Vancouver
David Tendeck: 17/20 saves for Vancouver (7-6)
Shane Farkas: 33/34 saves for Victoria (10-4-1-0)
Vancouver Power Play: 0/6
Victoria Power Play: 0/3
Shane Farkas (VIC - 33 Saves)
Keanu Derungs (VIC - 1G, GWG)
Brandon Cutler (VIC - 2A)
Next Giants Game: Friday night at home against the Spokane Chiefs at 7:30 PM.
The Giants are now 4-4-1-0 against the B.C. Division.
The Vancouver Giants have outshot their opposition in 18 of their first 27 games.
David Tendeck has held opponents to three goals or less in each of his past eight appearances.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2019
- Jake Christiansen Returned from Stockton - Everett Silvertips
- Wawanesa Toy Drive Set for December 14th - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Jake Neighbours Named McSweeney's Player of the Month for November - Edmonton Oil Kings
- PariÂk Headed to Czech WJC Selection Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- ZOOM+Care Becomes Official Partner of Portland Winterhawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Blades Defenceman Radek Kucerik Invited to Czech Republic 2020 World Junior Selection Camp - Saskatoon Blades
- Wheat Kings Face Big Test Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats to Host Teddy Bear Toss Night Saturday - Regina Pats
- Preview: Broncos Host Silvertips in Lone Meeting of 19-20 - Swift Current Broncos
- Silvertips Continue Winning Ways on the Road - Everett Silvertips
- Cougars Drop OT Nailbiter to Portland - Prince George Cougars
- Giants Edged by Royals 3-1 Wednesday on the Island - Vancouver Giants
- Royals Knock Down Giants - Victoria Royals
- Winning Wednesday: Overtime Edition - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Shrug off Slow Start, Excel over Final 40 Minutes in Win over Warriors - Red Deer Rebels
- Third-Period Lapses Cost Broncos in Winnipeg - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Edge the Broncos 4-2 - Winnipeg Ice
- Mid-Week Trip to Alberta Ends with Loss in Red Deer - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Bowen Byram to Make NHL Debut Tonight in Los Angeles
- Bowen Byram, Michael Dyck Earn Silver at 2021 World Juniors
- Bowen Byram and Dylan Cozens to Both Wear the "C" for Canada
- Bowen Byram Named An Alternate Captain for Team Canada
- Giants Acquire 2001-Born Defenceman Zachary Ashton