Generals Win Third Straight: Down Prairiethunder 5-2
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals welcomed Bloomington Friday night by handing the PrairieThunder a 5-2 defeat, bringing their end of November winning streak into December and increasing their wins to three in a row and a improving their record to 6-12-0-2 overall.
The Gens hit the ice running and ready to prove they've turned a corner heading into the last month of 2009. They hit the special teams jackpot with an early five-on-three power play. November's IHL Rookie of the Month John Mori made sure to take advantage beating Paulo Colaiacovo five-hole just .13 seconds into the two man advantage. Rookie of the Week Brandon Gentile and Bryan Smolinski got the assists.
Tony Tuzzolino struck next when his shot from the point beat Colaiacovo at the 16:45 mark. Gentile and Mori assisted on the Gens second power play score of the night. Tuzzolino got his second of the night 2:08 after his first, taking a shot from the top of the left circle beat the PriarieThunder netminder glove side. Jamie Schaafsma, Flint's Player of the Month, and Mori assisted on the play.
The G-Men came out with the same amount of intensity in the second period, generating quite a few quality chances early, despite two penalties before reaching the halfway mark. But Bloomington, who was outshot 12 to 8 in the period, got the only goal.
Schaafsma kicked off the final frame putting the Generals down a man when he was called for interference 1:21 into play but John Ronan found the back of the net, scoring his fourth goal of the season. Ronan was skating down the right side in a two on one with Mori when he took his shot from the bottom of the circle beat Colaiacovo.
A mêlée broke out in front of Flint's net 5:58 into the third. Steve Silver took Brian Boulay to the ice while John Mori and Brett Holmberg wrestled each other. Mori and Holmberg were each assessed five minutes for fighting along with ten minute misconducts.
Bloomington cut Flint's lead to two at the 8:30 mark with an unassisted 4-on-4 goal off the stick of Bill Bargon. The Generals put the final nail in Bloomington's coffin with an unassisted goal from Jamie Schaafsma with 4:11 to play in the game.
Flint went two (2) of three (3) with the man advantage but were outshot 30 to 37 in the game. Rob Nolan won his third straight game, stopping 35 Bloomington shots.
The Generals hit the road for the next four games beginning Sunday where they look to increase their streak to four games in a 5:00pm contest with the Komets. They head down to Bloomington next Friday, Dec. 11th in hopes of improving their record against the PrairieThunder to 2-1-0-0. Sunday, Dec. 13th they return to Quad City for a 4:05pm puck drop. They wrap up their road travels with a game in Port Huron. They return to Perani on Friday, Dec. 18th to host the IceHawks for game two of their home and home.
Tickets for the Dec. 18th game are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, by phone at 810-744-0580, or through Ticketmaster. For group ticket information, call the Generals Office at 810-744-0222 or visit our website at www.flintgenerals.com. All Generals games home and away, are accessible for viewing on our website through the B2 Network.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from December 4, 2009
- Mallards Rally Past Fort Wayne - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder falls at Flint - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Generals Win Third Straight: Down Prairiethunder 5-2 - Flint Generals
- Generals beat Bloomington 5-2 - Flint Generals
- Icehawks And Pepsi To Pack The House On December 27 - Port Huron Icehawks
- Dayton Introduces New Ownership Group - IHL 2
- Icehawks Sign Forward With Championship Experience - Port Huron Icehawks
- Mallards Merchandise Now Available Online - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Owner Lencheski To Speak At 2009 Princeton Sports Symposium - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals