Generals Skate Past Gems In 3-1 Victory
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals defeated the Dayton Gems Friday 3-1 competing in their third game in as many nights. It was the Gens first win since November 8th when they took down the Quad City Mallards at Perani Arena and second win on the road this season. The victory brings the Gens record to 4-12-0-2 on the season.
The Generals started the game on a bad note when they received a bench minor for too many men just .49 seconds into play, but their penalty killing unit went to work and the Gems failed to take advantage. Rookie Brendan Gentile put the Generals on the bored with a power play goal at 4:42 after taking a pass from Jamie Schaafsma in front of the net. John Mori also assisted on the goal. Just over the midway point of the first, Mori got a power play goal of his own. Defenseman Joe VanCulin slipped while trying to clear the puck, Schaafsma got the puck at the point and passed it to Mori who then skated with the puck down and took a shot beating Ryan Mior glove side.
The second period was all Dayton. With 8:39 played in the middle frame, Nolan was the victim of a bad bounce off the post and a Generals defenseman. Mike Vaskivou was credited with the score while Jonathon Ornelas picked up the assist.
Action picked back up again in the third with a big hit by rookie Armando Scarlato, who has added a much needed physical presence to the Generals lineup. Gentile got his second goal of the night with a screened shot from the point to the right of Mior. The puck deflected a few times before going over the netminder's shoulder glove side at 12:09 of the third, Rheaume got the assist on the play.
The Generals went 2 for 5 on the man advantage while Nolan stopped 29 of 30 shots faced through 60:00 minutes in his first professional victory.
Action resumes Sunday afternoon for the Generals at Perani Arena when they host the Muskegon Lumberjacks for a 4:00pm contest. ALL tickets for Sunday's game are $5 as a way to thank the fans for the inconvenience they faced as a result of Wednesday's game against the Jacks being canceled. Tickets for Sunday's game are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, by phone at 810-744-0580, or through Ticketmaster, but the special $5 deal is only available at the Perani Ticket Office. All games are available for viewing through the B2 Network, accessible on our website www.flintgenerals.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 27, 2009
- Lindberg Goal Gives Icehawks Thrilling Overtime Win - Port Huron Icehawks
- Dayton Gems Fall To Flint Generals 3-1 - Dayton Gems
- Generals Skate Past Gems In 3-1 Victory - Flint Generals
- Generals beat the Gems 3-1 - Flint Generals
- Mallards Return To Acton Tomorrow Night - Quad City Mallards
- Generals To Announce Date For Rescheduled Game Monday - Flint Generals
- Generals Fall Short In Fort Wayne - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals