NFL, NBA, NHL stats

Generals Fall Short In Fort Wayne

November 27, 2009 - International Hockey League 2 (IHL 2) - Flint Generals News Release

FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals came up just short in a Thanksgiving Night contest against the Komets, and despite a tremendous effort on both ends of the ice the Gens dropped the game 5-4. The loss was Flint's seventh in row.

Fort Wayne lit the lamp first with a Brandon Warner goal five minutes into action getting assists from Kevin Bertram and P.C. Drouin. With about nine minutes to go, Generals captain Pascal Rheaume dropped the gloves with Fort Wayne's Kevin Bertram. Late in the period while on the penalty kill, rookie John Mori battled with a Komets' defenseman from blueline to blueline for ice before getting a few steps ahead as he entered the Gens' offensive zone and at 18:02 Mori put the puck past Tim Haun tying the game.

The second period was tough for the Generals, giving up three goals. The Komets second goal of the game came just.57 seconds into the period off the stick of P.C. Drouin. Fort Wayne added to their lead at 8:15 with a power goal from Rick Varone. The Komets' lead was cut in half when a John Ronan shot from the point, while on the man advantage, beat Haun. Rheaume and Steve Silver got the assists.

The Thanksgiving crowd was treated with two fist flying scraps, both in the second. Veteran Tyler Willis and Bobby Phillips were the first to go toe-to-toe after Phillips took exception to Willis falling on top of Haun upon being checked from behind. Minutes later, Generals rookie newcomer Armando Scarlato took on Kaliegh Schrock, with Scarlato getting in the more quality shots. The middle period concluded with a late goal from Justin Chwedoruk. Jean Francois Labbe went down to make a save but Chwedoruk held onto the puck long enough to create an open net. The time of the goal was 17:53, with Guy Dupuis assisting on the play.

Flint turned up the heat in the final frame creating plenty of great opportunities. Just over four minutes into the period leading Generals scorer Jamie Schaafsma pulled the team back within one goal when a shot from the top of the circle beat Haun five-hole. One minute and 26 seconds later, the Komets regained their two goal lead when Sean O'Conner managed to cut through two defensemen and flipped the puck over Labbe.

The Gens kept generating offensive chances and after the puck bounced around in front of the Komets' net, it ended up on the stick of Nate Ward who tucked the puck in the net between a sprawled Haun and the post, scoring his 50th career goal. Defenseman Chris Bogas and John Mori got the assists. They came close to sending the game to overtime but the Komets held on for the win.

Labbe made 24 saves on 29 shots in 59:43 of play, while the Generals went one for five on the power play.

The Gens are back in action Friday night in Dayton as they take on the Gems at 7:30pm for their sixth contest with the Gems. They return to Perani Sunday for a 4:00pm puck drop with Muskegon. Tickets for Sunday's game are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, by phone at 810-7444-0222, or through Ticketmaster. All games are available for viewing through the B2 Network which is accessible on the main page of our website

• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...

International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 27, 2009

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.