NFL, NBA, NHL stats

Generals Fall Short In Comback

February 24, 2010 - International Hockey League 2 (IHL 2) - Flint Generals News Release

FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals and the Muskegon Lumberjacks met for the second time in less than 24 hours Sunday afternoon at Perani Arena, with game two going to the Lumberjacks by a final score of 8-7.

Muskegon came out with a lot of intensity following their 5-4 loss Saturday night. Michel Beausoliel opened the scoring 1:13 into play when he batted down the puck when a rebound bounced high on Nick Niedert. Jamie Schaafsma tied things up at the midway point when he took a pass from John Mori. Schaafsma skated down the near side, cut in and shot the puck across beating Matt Lundin far side off after the puck took a Generals bounce off the post. The 'Jacks regained the lead with a goal from Bobby Bolt who held onto the puck long enough to draw Niedert out of the net. Flint fell down 3-1 with another Bolt goal at 18:47, this time from high in the slot.

The Generals pulled within one five minutes into the second frame when a Muskegon defender turned the puck over from behind his own net, instead of clearing the puck it landed on the stick of Matt Moffat who was in front all alone. The Lumberjacks went up 4-2 with Bolt's third of the night, beating Niedert off the near post. Rick Smith deked in front of the net going from one post to the other before taking the shot. Muskegon made it a two goal game once again when Beausoliel spun around at the bottom of the circle and beat the netminder high stick side for his second goal of the night. John DiPace added a shorthanded goal late in the period to make it 6-3.

Muskegon earned their largest lead of the game three minutes into the third period when Brian Bieck's shot hit the cross bar and fell in behind Niedert. Flint responded with four straight goals in a seven minute span beginning with Nate Ward's 8th goal of the season at 5:08. John Ronan followed when he took a pass across the crease from Schaafsma and buried it in the wide open net. Captain Pascal Rheaume brought the Gens within one; he skated down the far side beating Lundin from the bottom of the circle. Flint managed to tie the game 7-7 with a goal from rookie John Mori; it was his fourth goal in two games. Unfortunately for the Generals, a pane of glass had to be replaced and the long delay took away all of the momentum they had gained. Despite the home team's efforts, it was the 'Jacks who scored the next and final goal.

Flint went 0 of 3 on the power play while Niedert stopped 26 of 34 shots faced through 59:18 minutes of play. These two teams meet again Wednesday in Muskegon for the third time in as many games. The Generals return to Perani Friday the 26th to host Bloomington, puck drops at 7:30 PM.

• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...

International Hockey League 2 Stories from February 24, 2010

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.