Generals Bettered By Icehawks 2-1 In Tough Contest
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals continue to face adversity in hard fought 2-1loss to the Port Huron IceHawks. After the Hawks' Saturday night offensive success, the Generals buckled down Sunday at McMorran Arena in Port Huron.
Jamie Schaafsma found the back of the net on an unassisted goal at 10:07 of the opening period. Port Huron's Daniel Tetrault converted on a power play opportunity at 14:21 tying the game 1-1.
There was no scoring in the middle segment but with two intense battles, there was no lack of excitement. The first was an ugly fight between Jake Pence and Mike Kinnie. Landing a punch square in the face of Pence, Kinnie received 14 minutes on three assessed infractions as a result of the scuffle, half of Port Huron's total game penalties. The physical nature of Flint vs. Port Huron games arose again late in the second between Tyler Willis and Jason Kostadine, who was involved in the extra curricular activities Saturday night. Each spent five minutes in the box serving fighting majors.
Port Huron turned up the intensity for the final period, peppering Robby Nolan with seventeen shots; they'd only managed sixteen through the previous two periods. Unfortunately for the Gens, one of those shots beat Nolan. He made the initial save but the puck landed on the stick of Derek Patrosso who found a whole between a sprawling Nolan and the post, and poked it in, giving the IceHawks a 2-1 lead.
Nolan again gave a spectacular performance stopping 31 of 33 shots that came his way through 59:26, but the Gens' offense could not find their scoring touch.
The Generals return to action Friday at Perani Arena when they host the Dayton Gems. Tickets for the Nov. 20th game are available through the Perani Ticket Office in person or by phone at 810-744-0580 or through Ticketmaster at www.ticketmaster.com. For group ticket information call the Generals Office at 810-744-0222 or visit our website at www.flintgenerals.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 15, 2009
- 'Jacks Weekly Notes - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Generals Bettered By Icehawks 2-1 In Tough Contest - Flint Generals
- Mallards Outlast Bloomington In Shootout - Quad City Mallards
- PrairieThunder Succumb to Mallards - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Icehawks Sweep Home And Home Series With Generals - Port Huron Icehawks
- PrairieThunder Take 5-2 Win - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Icehawks Earn Decisive 5-1 Win Over Generals - Port Huron Icehawks
- Gems Fall In Overtime To Komets 2-1 - Dayton Gems
- Bloomington Drops Mallards - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals