Generals Better Biscuits, 9-1, Even Series
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Biscuits (1-1) fell behind early and never recovered in a 9-1 loss to the Jackson Generals (1-1) in Game 2 of the 2019 North Division Championship Series on Thursday night at Riverwalk Stadium. The series is now even at one game apiece.
Kenny Rosenberg (0-1) got the start for the Biscuits and looked sharp through the first two innings, keeping the Generals off the board and allowing just a walk. Matt Peacock (1-0) on the other side for the Generals was just as effective, retiring the first six batters he faced.
In the top of the third, Ryan Grotjohn and Camden Duzenack tallied back-to-back singles to start the inning. Ben DeLuzio then put down a sac bunt to advance both runners to second and third. With one out, Daulton Varsho slashed a groundball to second in the next at-bat. Vidal Brujan fielded the ball cleanly, but then uncorked a wild throw to the plate to try to get Grotjohn, which led to the first two runs of the contest. Drew Ellis launched a two-run homer later in the inning, and the Generals were in front 4-0.
But Carl Chester doubled off Peacock to begin the bottom of the third, and after a Miles Mastrobuoni flyout moved him to third, Lucius Fox brought Chester home with a sac fly to left to get the Biscuits on the board at 4-1.
The Biscuits had a golden opportunity to scratch across a second run in the bottom of the fifth after a walk to Josh Lowe and another double by Chester put runners at second and third with only one out. Mastrobuoni then flexed a flyball to deep left and both runners tagged, but Chester was thrown out by Grotjohn before Lowe scored to end the inning on a double play.
In the seventh, Grotjohn added an RBI-double to make it 5-1, and Peacock polished off his night with back-to-back strikeouts to end the seventh and his night with five of them. Ellis then stroked a two-run double into the right-center field gap to make it 7-1 in the eighth before Renae Martinez's RBI-single made it 8-1 in the same inning. A Varsho RBI-groundout in the ninth tacked on the final run.
The best-of-five series will now shift to West Tennessee where Joe Ryan will take on Bo Takahashi in Game 3 on Friday night at 6:05 PM CT at The Ballpark at Jackson. Game 4 will then be back at Riverwalk Stadium in downtown Montgomery on Saturday, September 7 at 6:05 PM CT.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 5, 2019
- File's Career Outing Shuts Down Blue Wahoos in 4-1 Shuckers Victory - Biloxi Shuckers
- Peacock Power: Generals Right-Hander Ties up Biscuits in 9-1 Victory - Jackson Generals
- Generals Better Biscuits, 9-1, Even Series - Montgomery Biscuits
- Playoffs Gameday: September 5 at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Tommy Eveld Named BC S.L. Relief Pitcher of Month for August - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tommy Eveld Named BC Relief Pitcher of the Month - SL
- Thomas' Walk-Off Blast Ends Wild Game One Between Shuckers and Blue Wahoos - Biloxi Shuckers
- Wahoos Edged in Playoff Opener - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- Biscuits Charitable Foundation and Bama-Q TV to Stream Community Fundraiser
- Biscuits Serve Special Blend of Promotions in the Year of Chicken
- Biscuits DiBella to be Inducted into International Boxing Hall of Fame
- Generals End Biscuits' Season, 6-5
- Generals Blank Biscuits, 4-0