Garreffa Scores Two and Quinn Gives 67's Win in OT
OTTAWA - The Ottawa 67's were on the road looking to bounce back from their last-minute heart breaker suffered against Oshawa on Friday, and they did just that with a 3-2 overtime win in Peterborough on Sunday afternoon. Joseph Garreffa scored twice for Ottawa, while Jack Quinn added the OT winner in the Barber Poles' win.
The opening twenty minutes remained scoreless, but 67's goaltender Cedrick Andree was tested on numerous occasions in this one, making 10 stops in the first. Andree would finish the game with 30 saves on 32 shots.
Peterborough took a commanding 2-0 lead with two quick goals to start the second period, coming from Cameron Butler and Liam Kirk only a minute and a half apart. Garreffa then went on to put Ottawa on the board midway through the period thanks to a power play goal, making it a one goal game heading into the third.
Garreffa and the 67's would repeat what they did on the power play in the second and tied the game early in the third with the period's only goal and Garreffa's second of the game, which sent thing to overtime, where Jack Quinn gave the Barber Poles the win thanks to a highlight reel goal. Quinn entered the offensive zone with speed before deking out Peterborough's defender and slipping the puck in Hunter Jones' five hole.
The 67's will return to action on Thursday, as they kick off a three game road trip in the United States in Saginaw, before they head to Flint and Sarnia afterwards. Ottawa will be back on home ice on Thursday, November 21st, when they host the Sudbury Wolves for the very popular School Day Game.
This was the third time these two teams met this season, but it was the first time Ottawa defeated the Petes, after falling short to them both times prior in very tight contests.
Garreffa's offensive impact has been huge to the 67's since his arrival. The overage forward has put up 7 goals and 5 assists for 12 points in 8 games with Ottawa.
Ottawa's power play is now third in the OHL with a 29.3% conversion rate (22 goals on 75 occasions).
After being blanked for the very first time of the season on Friday, Marco Rossi made it back on the scoresheet on Sunday afternoon with an assist on Garreffa's first goal.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 10, 2019
- Noel Leads the Charge Offensively in Generals' Victory over Rangers - Oshawa Generals
- Spirit Pull off Comeback Victory in Windsor - Saginaw Spirit
- Rangers Fall to OHL-Leading Generals, 4-2 - Kitchener Rangers
- Battalion Comes up Empty - North Bay Battalion
- Petes Earn Point in Overtime Loss to Division Rival 67's - Peterborough Petes
- Sting Hold off Batallion with a 4-2 Victory - Sarnia Sting
- CIBC Canada Russia Series Rolls into Budweiser Gardens Monday Night - London Knights
- Bressette Collects First OHL Goal, Otters Edged 4-3 by Attack in Shootout Loss - Erie Otters
- Guzda Stands Tall in 4-3 Shootout Win over Otters - Owen Sound Attack
- Jenik's Four Points Not Enough to Overcome Tynan and the IceDogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Garreffa Scores Two and Quinn Gives 67's Win in OT - Ottawa 67's
- Special Teams and Goaltending Lead IceDogs to 5-4 Win in Hamilton - Niagara IceDogs
- Game Preview: Generals Look to Round out a Perfect Weekend with a Win against the Rangers - Oshawa Generals
- Preview: Spirit Face Road Test Sunday in Windsor - Saginaw Spirit
- Knights Halt the Attack - London Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.