Garcia, Pen Deliver, as Goats Capitalize on Senators Errors
HARTFORD - Rico Garcia and three relievers combined to pitch the Hartford Yard Goats to a 2-1 win over the Harrisburg Senators, before 6,850 at Dunkin' Donuts Park. It was Hartford's eighth sellout of the 2019 season and second capacity crowd. The Yard Goats have drawn 81,249 so far this season. Hartford (19-17) capitalized on three Harrisburg errors to score two unearned runs in the fourth inning and defeat the Senators for only the second time in nine meetings.
Garcia (4-0) made it four straight wins, pitching 5 2/3 innings, allowing one run, two walks and eight strike outs. Hartford pitching struck out 14 batters, as Jordan Foley, Logan Cozart and Ben Bowden each fanned two. Bowden notched his league-leading 11th save, pitching around a two-out single in the ninth.
With one out in the fourth inning Tyler Nevin singled. Second baseman Luis Sardinas committed two errors, when he bobbled a ground ball by Alan Trejo then threw it past the first baseman Ian Sagdal, who then fired the ball into the third base stands, attempting to nail Nevin, who was awarded home with the Goats' first run. Willie Abreu then followed with an RBI-single to knock in the run that proved to be the difference.
The Senators chased Garcia in the sixth on a two-out double by Sagdal and a single by Tres Barrrera.
Jackson Tetreault was the tough luck loser, pitching six innings and striking out six. Reliever Trevor Rosenthal, on rehab from the Washington Nationals, pitched a scoreless seventh inning.
Abreau and Colton Welker each had two hits for the Yard Goats. Tyler Goeddel had two hits for Harrisburg (24-10).
The rubber game of the three-game series and brief home stand wraps up Sunday at 1:05 PM. Ashton Goudeau will pitch for Hartford against Sterling Sharp for Harrisburg in a battle of right-handers. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410AM, on 100.9 FM, in Spanish on 1120AM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com.
Harrisburg 1-5-4Hartford 2-8-0
WP- Rico Garcia (4-0)
LP- Jackson Tetreault (1-1)
S- Ben Bowden (11)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Dalbec Hits Three Homers in 8-7 Loss at Trenton in 12 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder Win on Wild Walkoff over Portland - Trenton Thunder
- Tom Leads RubberDucks Barrage against Reading - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Clinch Series with 3-0 Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Tetreault Tosses Gem, but Sens fall 2-1 to Hartford - Harrisburg Senators
- 'Ducks Go Hunting in the Rain - Reading Fightin Phils
- Garcia, Pen Deliver, as Goats Capitalize on Senators Errors - Hartford Yard Goats
- Hightower's Six Scoreless Innings Leads Curve Past Erie - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves Drop Game Two 2-1, Lose First Series of 2019 to the Curve - Erie SeaWolves
- Adams 9th-Inning Blast Leads Cats over Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 11th at Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game 31 - Rumble Ponies (19-11) vs. New Hampshire Fisher Cats (15-18)- 2:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Fisher Cats 8-Run First Leads to Win in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Johnson's Blasts Wasted in Loss to Reading - Akron RubberDucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.