Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-49) vs. Durham Bulls (59-40)
The Tribe look to even their series with Durham on the last of three Prospects Nights at The Vic. Game notes and lineups are attached.
LOCATION: Victory Field
FIRST PITCH: 7:05 p.m. ET
GAME #98 / HOME #50: Indianapolis Indians (48-49) vs. Durham Bulls (59-40)
PROBABLES: LHP Cam Vieaux (2-1, 5.53) vs. RHP Arturo Reyes (3-2, 3.38)
RADIO: Fox Sports 97.5 / AM 1260 / iHeart app
TV: MiLB TV / Comcast 90
LAST NIGHT: The Indians rallied to force extra innings but couldn't top Durham in a 4-3, 10-inning loss to the Bulls on Friday, dropping the Tribe to 3-6 in extra-inning affairs. The loss also dropped Indy back below .500 and made its record 18-14 in games decided by one run. With wind gusting out to center field at 18 mph, Kean Wong and Erik Gonzalez exchanged solo homers in the first inning to make it 1-1. The score remained that way until two outs in the top of the seventh, when Kevin Padlo -- playing in his third career Triple-A game -- drilled a two-run homer off Alex McRae to left to put Durham in front, 3-1. Run-scoring singles by Jason Martin in the seventh and Ke'Bryan Hayes in the eighth eventually tied the game, but Jason Coats snuck an RBI single through a drawn-in infield in the 10th for the game-winning hit. Indy had runners at the corners with one away in the bottom of the 10th, but Hayes fouled out to first and Will Craig grounded out sharply to short to end the game. Jake Faria (W, 6-2) gave up the game-tying run in the eighth but earned the win while Tyler Lyons (L, 4-2) yielded the unearned run in the 10th to take the loss.
GOING INTO REHAB: RHP Keone Kela and INF Erik Gonzalez are currently with the Indians on MLB rehab assignments, but Kela is expected to rejoin the Pirates 25-man roster today or tomorrow at PNC Park. Since April 1 when Indy received its preliminary Opening Day roster, the Tribe have carried at least one major league rehabber 100 out of 111 days. Only from April 1-8 and June 8-10 did the Tribe not have a rehabber on their roster.
SERIES OPENERS VS. DURHAM: In Indy's last 12 series against Durham dating back to the start of the 2015 campaign and including their 2017 playoff series against one another, the Tribe are just 1-11 in series openers against the Bulls. Indy won the 2015 season series 6-4 but lost the series opener in all three sets and again won the season series 4-2 in 2016 but lost the opener both times. In 2017, the Tribe lost the season series 6-4 and were beaten in the opener in three of four series, with the lone victory coming on July 17, 2017 at Durham; Indy lost the last two games of that series, however. The Tribe lost the season series last year 4-2, including both openers, and saw a similar outcome last night in the 4-3 defeat.
THE AUTOMATIC RUNNER ISN'T AUTOMATIC: The rule of placing a runner on second base in extra innings began at the start of the 2018 campaign. Indianapolis has played a total of 18 extra-inning games since 2018, going 7-11 in those games overall. The Tribe have struggled to get the free baserunner in from second base, scoring that runner in just 11 of the 23 extra innings they have played (47.8 percent). This year, Indy has scored the free runner in six of its 11 extra innings played (54.5 percent).
HOOK 'EM: With a loss tonight, the Tribe would fall to 0-6-1 in their last seven series against Durham. The Tribe have not beaten the Bulls in a series since the 2016 campaign, when they took 2 of 3 at both Victory Field and the DBAP.
SO CLOSE, YET SO FAR AWAY: The Indians have not hit a walk-off home run since Alen Hanson belted a walk-off grand slam vs. Louisville on Aug. 15, 2016. Last night, the Indians came close to a walk-off homer twice. Pablo Reyes flew out to the right field wall to open the bottom of the ninth, and Hunter Owen drilled a two-out double to the base of the center field wall later in the frame.
GONZO: Erik Gonzalez blasted his first home run as a member of the Pirates organization last night, a 444-foot solo shot with one away in the first inning that tied the game, 1-1. The 27-year-old is in his second rehab stint with Indy this year and was the 14th of 15 different Pirates to play for Indy on a rehab assignment this season. The long ball was Gonzalez's first since May 15, 2018 with Cleveland at Detroit off LHP Francisco Liriano.
SAME 'OL ELMORE: UTIL Jake Elmore is batting .358 (82-for-229) with four homers, 22 doubles and 23 RBI in 69 games for Indy. The 32-year-old journeyman has also enjoyed the friendly confines of Victory Field, hitting .396 (42-for-106) with a .987 OPS in 35 home games. Elmore hit .390 in April, .382 in May and .297 in June. This month, his average rests at .370 through 16 games.
VIC TROUBLES: The Tribe are 3-9 in their last 12 home games and 6-16 in their last 22 overall. Indy was a season-best seven games over .500 (17-10) at The Vic following a May 31 victory over Gwinnett.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Tide shifts in Norfolk's favor - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tides Hold off Lehigh Valley Rally - Norfolk Tides
- Indians Bury Bulls on Final Prospects Night, 8-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Rally Late But Fall to RailRiders, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Pair Of Home Runs From Kyle Higashioka Pace Railriders Victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Oswalt Shines as Mets Blast Mud Hens, 11-5 - Syracuse Mets
- Three Home Runs Power Knights Past PawSox 7-5 on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Demeritte, Allard Key Stripers' 5-1 Win over Rochester - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Blanked by Clippers on Saturday, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Long Ball Proves Costly in PawSox Loss to Knights - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Offense Slowed in 4-1 Loss to Gwinnett Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-49) vs. Durham Bulls (59-40) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (38-60) at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (56-42) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-64) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (60-63)
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63)
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader
- Doubleheader Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-61) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (57-63)