Fresno Pitchers Holds Beavers to One Run in Series Finale
PORTLAND, Ore. - John Bowker went 2-for-4 with one RBI and two runs scored, and Scott Paterson anchored a strong collective effort by the pitching staff to pace the Fresno Grizzlies to a 5-1 win over the Portland Beavers Friday night at PGE Park.
Six pitchers, none of whom pitched more than two innings, managed to hold the Beavers (29-46) to one run despite giving up 11 hits. Paterson (2-2) pitched two innings of relief, giving up one run (0 earned) on two hits to earn the win in the series finale for the Grizzlies (47-29).
Sean Kazmar tallied three of the Beavers 11 hits as the top third of Portland's lineup combined for seven hits. Beavers relievers pitched 5 1/3 shutout innings, with Luis Perdomo and Mike DeMark not allowing a base runner in 4 1/3 innings.
Cesar Carrillo (4-6) gave up all five runs (3 earned) on eight hits while striking out seven in 3 2/3 innings.
The Grizzlies pushed two across in the first inning with a bases-loaded walk and RBI ground out. Fresno only recorded one hit in the inning despite bringing seven batters to the plate.
Steve Holm and Emmanuel Burriss each had two-out RBI singles in the top of the third inning to stretch the Grizzlies lead to 4-0.
The Beavers cut the lead to 5-1 when Dusty Ryan scored from second base on a Fresno error in the fourth inning.
The Beavers and Colorado Springs Sky Sox will meet Saturday at 6:05 p.m. (Pacific) in the opener of their four-game series at Security Service Field.
NOTES: After making it through at least four innings in 10 straight starts this season, Carrillo has failed to pitch four innings in three of his last four outings ... Grizzlies starter Osiris Matos gave up four hits in two shutout innings in his first start of the season.
Beavers Game File FRIDAY'S GAME: Fresno 5, Beavers 1 WINNING PITCHER: Paterson (2-2) LOSING PITCHER: Carrillo (4-6) SAVE: None HOME RUNS: None SATURDAY'S GAME: Portland (Josh Geer: 4-6, 5.59) at Colorado Springs (Greg Smith: 0-0, 3.38), 6:05 p.m. (Pacific), live broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2010
- Bees hold on for win - Reno Aces
- Express, Sounds Suspended - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Romp Past Zephyrs, 13-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Game Suspended Due to Rain - Nashville Sounds
- Sutton Placed on Disabled List, Campos Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Fresno Pitchers Holds Beavers to One Run in Series Finale - Portland Beavers
- Rainiers Roughed up by Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss