Four Goals Earn Switchbacks FC First Win in Downtown Colorado Springs History
Colorado Springs, CO - The Switchbacks recorded their first ever win in Downtown Colorado Springs history in a 4-2 win over the Tacoma Defiance, powered by Michee Ngalina's two goals and an assist, and Hadji Barry's goal and three assists.
Looking to build off of consecutive draws, the Switchbacks almost scored another early goal at Weidner Field when Michee Ngalina fired a shot from the left side of the penalty area that was saved. However, Tacoma ended up taking the early lead as Azriel Gonzalez dribbled along the goal line and played a pass to Marlon Vargas who finished it.
The Switchbacks would finally reap the rewards of dominating possession of the ball for the rest of the first half when Hadji Barry played a lofted pass over the top of the defense and Ngalina lifted his shot over the head of the goalkeeper for his first goal at Weidner Field.
The Switchbacks quickly turned the game around just four minutes later as Barry took a touch past his defender on the right side of the penalty area before unleashing a powerful ground cross that Deshane Beckford finished to give the hosts the 2-1 lead going into the half.
Ngalina almost struck again eight minutes into the second half as he held off a defender to claim a pass into the left side of the penalty area, only for the Tacoma goalkeeper, Spencer Richey to come up with another big save. Barry then tested Richey from a narrow angle on the left side of the penalty area on a shot that was blocked behind for a corner.
With just ten minutes remaining in the second half, Ngalina brought down a long ball over the defense before being fouled. With advantage being played, Barry hit a shot with his first touch from just inside the penalty area into the bottom left corner of the goal to extend the Switchbacks lead.
Tacoma got a goal back when Alec Diaz got on the end of a through ball and flicked the ball over Sean Melvin to finish the play. The Switchbacks would get a fourth goal to cap off the night as Barry touched the ball to Ngalina who used his speed to beat a sliding defender and finish at the near post from the left side of the penalty area for his second goal of the game.
The Switchbacks FC are on the road on Tuesday as the club takes on Austin Bold FC at 7:00pm MT on June 22. The Switchbacks are back at Weidner Field on Friday, June 25, against New Mexico United with gates opening at 6pm MT. The match is presented by Southwest Airlines with a Fireworks show directly following the match.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 17, 2021
- John Berner Suffers Achilles Injury - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Everything You Need to Know When Orange County SC Visit Las Vegas Lights in Week 8 - Orange County SC
- 3 Things: #TBRvPIT - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- June 18 Match Preview - CHSvMIA - Charleston Battery
- Montage Health Announced as Official Kit Partner for Monterey Bay FC - Monterey Bay FC
- United Soccer League to Hold Mid-Year Meetings in San Antonio - USL
- Real Monarchs Welcome El Paso Locomotive - Real Monarchs SLC
- Circuit of the Americas Announces Austin Bold FC vs. Cruz Azul Friendly Match July 10 at Bold Stadium - Austin Bold FC
- Four Goals Earn Switchbacks FC First Win in Downtown Colorado Springs History - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- LA Galaxy II Fall 4-3 at Home to Las Vegas Lights FC on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy II
- New Mexico United Bests San Antonio FC 2-0, Takes Sole Possession of Second Place - New Mexico United
- Lights Hold off LA Galaxy II - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Stoppage Time Fabien Garcia Goal Seals 2-1 Victory over RGVFC - Austin Bold FC
- Memphis 901 FC Win First Home Match of Season in Dramatic Fashion - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 0-2 on the Road to New Mexico United - San Antonio FC
- Charlotte Independence Fall to New York Red Bulls II on the Road, 3-1 - Charlotte Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.