Former Otter Allen Has Contract Purchased by Mets
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - Former Evansville Otters second baseman Josh Allen had his contract purchased by the New York Mets Thursday out of the American Association's St. Paul Saints.
The Mets have assigned Allen to Double-A Binghamton.
"Couldn't be happier for Josh and his family, he's truly a great independent baseball story," Evansville manager Andy McCauley said. "I signed Josh out of an open tryout and he went on to be a league most valuable player and now he's in Double-A with the Mets."
In January, Evansville finalized a deal to send Allen to St. Paul. In return, the Otters received catcher Mike Rizzitello and a player to be named later from the Saints.
"As tough as it was to trade Josh, we realized it's the best thing for him as a player," McCauley said. "He had nothing left to prove in the Frontier League."
With the Saints this season, Allen played in 24 games and batted .344 with 17 runs, 31 hits and six doubles. He also had two triples and four home runs.
Allen, a Fort Meade, Fla. native, left the Otters as the all-time franchise leader in triples (19), stolen bases (76) and hit by pitches (51).
He is second in several other career statistical categories; including games played (347), at bats (1,222), hits (374), doubles (70), RBIs (171), runs (261) and total bases (596).
Allen is third in career home runs and walks with 38 and 191, respectively.
His best season in Evansville came in 2016, where he set a single-season franchise record with a .354 batting average in earning the FL Most Valuable Player award. He also set the season record for doubles that year, finishing with 34.
With Allen, Evansville made the playoffs three times and won the 2016 Frontier League title.
A Frontier League All-Star selection in 2014, 2016 and 2017, Allen joined the Otters in 2014 after playing collegiately at the University of West Florida.
"I'm sure everyone that knew Josh in Evansville will be pulling for him," McCauley said. "We wish him the best of luck."
The Evansville Otters are the 2006 and 2016 Frontier League champions. Season tickets, group outing packages, and single game tickets are on sale now for the 2018 season.
Tickets can be purchased online at evansvilleotters.com, by calling 812-435-8686, or at the Bosse Field box office.
The Otters play all home games at historic Bosse Field, located at 23 Don Mattingly Way in Evansville, Ind. Stay up-to-date with the Evansville Otters by visiting evansvilleotters.com, or follow the Otters on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Images from this story
Former Erie Otter Josh Allen
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Crushers Sweep Season Series From CornBelters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Swept by Slammers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Downed by Walk-Off Homer for Boomers - Evansville Otters
- Towns Walk-Off Blast Sends Boomers to Series Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Freedom Blowout Bolts to Finish Series Sweep - Florence Freedom
- Desguin's 1-Hitter Leads Beach Bums to Victory - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Beach Bums Beat Rascals Behind Complete Game from Desguin - River City Rascals
- ThunderBolts End Road Trip with Blowout Loss - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Former Otter Allen Has Contract Purchased by Mets - Evansville Otters
- Crushers Win Fifth Straight Road Series - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Sweep Doubleheader over Beach Bums - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.