Crushers Win Fifth Straight Road Series
NORMAL, Ill. - The Lake Erie Crushers, presented by Mercy, took advantage of a few mistakes by the CornBelters and pounded out 13 hits en route to a 8-4 win on Wednesday night. Normal committed three errors in the loss.
Lake Erie (17-12) took the lead in the third inning against CornBelters starter Matt Portland (2-2). Kevin Lachance led off with a walk and later scored after an error by shortstop Santiago Chirino. The Crushers tacked on another run in the inning to jump out to a 2-0 lead.
Normal responded in the bottom of the third against Alex Romero (3-2). A couple of hits and a throwing error by Lachance helped the CornBelters tie the game on a sacrifice fly by Derrick Loveless.
Lake Erie answered right back in the fourth with two runs. A double by Dalton Wheat and an error by third baseman Sam Vega helped lead to a couple of runs, giving the Crushers a 4-2 lead. Wheat finished 3-4 with two runs scored.
In the sixth inning, the Crushers made it 5-2 after an RBI single by Lachance who went 2-5 with two RBIs and two runs scored. Portland lasted six innings and he was charged with five runs (three earned) on eight hits.
Romero on the other hand, was settling in as the game went on. He struck out the side in the fourth and retired the CornBelters in order in the fifth.
Romero ran into trouble in the sixth and allowed a couple of runs but Kent Hasler came in to get the final two outs. Romero allowed four runs on seven hits and he struck out six over 5.1 innings.
Branden Nunn worked two scoreless innings, including the seventh when he worked around a first and third situation. Lake Erie still led 5-4.
The Crushers loaded the bases in the eighth inning against Nick Bozman. Normal brought in Anthony Herrera and he issued a bases loaded walk to Sean Hurley, making it 6-4.
The Crushers added on to their lead in the ninth when catcher Bryan DeLaRosa launched a two-run shot to right, making it 8-4. That was his third home run of the season.
Justin Sinabaldi pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning and the Crushers clinched their fifth consecutive series on the road with the win. Lake Erie has taken the first five games of the season series from the CornBelters.
Game three is scheduled for tomorrow at 7:05 CDT. Juan Perez (1-0) will face Kevin Matthews (0-3) for the CornBelters. Lake Erie will then return home for a six game home stand.
The Lake Erie Crushers, the 2009 Frontier League Champions, and 2011 Frontier League Organization of the year, play ball at Sprenger Health Care Stadium, a 5,000 capacity stadium located in Avon, Ohio. The Frontier League is an independent baseball league with 12 teams operating throughout the Midwest. For more information on tickets, promotions and team news, visit the team website at www.LakeErieCrushers.com or call 440-934-3636.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Crushers Sweep Season Series From CornBelters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Swept by Slammers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Downed by Walk-Off Homer for Boomers - Evansville Otters
- Towns Walk-Off Blast Sends Boomers to Series Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Freedom Blowout Bolts to Finish Series Sweep - Florence Freedom
- Desguin's 1-Hitter Leads Beach Bums to Victory - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Beach Bums Beat Rascals Behind Complete Game from Desguin - River City Rascals
- ThunderBolts End Road Trip with Blowout Loss - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Former Otter Allen Has Contract Purchased by Mets - Evansville Otters
- Crushers Win Fifth Straight Road Series - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Sweep Doubleheader over Beach Bums - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.