Five-Run Fourth Propels Rome Past Drive on Friday
ROME, Ga. - The Rome Braves (3-5) used a five-run fourth inning to score the only runs of the game for a 5-0 victory over the Greenville Drive (3-5) on Friday night at State Mutual Stadium.
The Braves broke open a scoreless game in fourth on a one-out, solo home run by Griffin Benson. Logan Brown followed with a double to right, before a fielding error and a hit-by-pitch loaded the bases with one out. Darling Florentino then drew a bases-loaded walk to make it 2-0.
Braulio Vasquez drove in the third run of the inning with an RBI fielder's choice to short, putting runners at the corners with two outs. Justin Dean capped off the frame with a two-run double to left to make a 5-0 advantage.
Drive hurler Angel Padron shined in the loss, shutting down the Rome offense from that point forward, tossing 4.1 innings in relief and scattering three hits with five strikeouts and no walks. After coming on to get the final out of the fourth, the righty retired 10 of the next 11 batters he faced.
Jose Olague (1-1) got the win for Rome with 5.0 scoreless innings of three-hit baseball with a lone walk against five strikeouts. Yasel Santana (0-1) suffered the loss for the Drive, allowing five runs (one earned) on six hits in 3.2 innings pitched. Jose Montilla earned a save for the Braves with 4.0 innings of scoreless relief work, allowing just one hit, a ninth-inning single by Cole Brannen, with five strikeouts.
The Drive's best scoring chance of the night came in the second inning. Jordan Wren singled to left to lead off the inning and quickly took second base for his first stolen base of the season. Triston Casas followed with a single to left to put runners at the corners with no outs. Olague worked out of the jam, though, inducing a lineout and pair of strikeouts to strand the Drive runners.
The series continues on Saturday with game three set for a 6:05 first pitch. Drive righty Chris Machamer (0-0, 1.80 ERA) faces off with Rome righty Trey Riley (0-1, 3.60 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Breaux's First Home Run Propels Charleston to First Home Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Five-Run Fourth Propels Rome Past Drive on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Bubic Fans Career High 12 in 8-4 Legends Victory - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Hit Three Homers in Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- G-Rod Fans Ten, 'Birds Win Fourth Straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Vientos Crushes 436-Foot Home Run on Friday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Rodriguez Sharp but Claws Rally Falls Short; Birds Win 5-3 on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - April 12 at Lexington (Game 8) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Postponed - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (April 12) - West Virginia Power
- Avila Gets Call to the Show - Hagerstown Suns
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Rome Defeats Greenville 4-3 in Home Opener Walkoff - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.