Five-Run 10th Propels BlueClaws to 5-1 Win
COLUMBIA, SC - The BlueClaws scored five times in the 10th inning to break a scoreless tie and top Columbia 5-1 at Spirit Communications Park. Dalton Guthrie gave the BlueClaws the lead with an RBI double and, after a Nick Maton RBI single, Rodolfo Duran added a three-run home run for the BlueClaws.
Lakewood (16-15) improved to 5-3 in extra innings and have played more extra inning games than any team in Minor League Baseball so far. Columbia (17-14) saw their five-game winning streak snapped as they took three of four in the series.
All five extra inning runs were charged to Steven Villines, who fell to 1-3. Addison Russ, who threw a 1-2-3 ninth inning for the BlueClaws, allowed an inherited run (unearned) to score, but earned the win to improve to 4-0 on the year.
Duran's home run, to cap the 10th inning rally, was his second home run of the season for the BlueClaws. Both starting pitchers were excellent. Lakewood's Ramon Rosso threw six scoreless innings, allowing two hits with nine strikeouts. Columbia's David Peterson went seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits with eight strikeouts.
The BlueClaws had their best chance off Peterson in the fifth when they had two on with none out but failed to score. In the bottom of the fifth, Columbia put two on with one out against Rosso, but he got a flyout and strikeout to end the threat.
Kyle Dohy threw two scoreless innings in relief of Rosso.
Jake Scheiner went 1-4 and extended his hitting streak to eight games, matching the longest by a BlueClaw this year (Simon Muzziotti, active). Guthrie and Maton added two hits apiece in the win.
Duran also threw out two potential base stealers for the BlueClaws.
After 15 of 18 on the road, the BlueClaws head home for a seven-game homestand starting Wednesday night against Charleston. LHP Will Stewart (3-0) starts for the BlueClaws opposite LHP Dalton Lehnen (2-1) at 6:35 pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 7, 2018
- 'Birds Eke out Enough for Baumann - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Shorebirds Tie Series with GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Lexington Legends Drop Series Finale to Charleston RiverDogs - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Walk off to Cap Five-Win Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Allergy Awareness Day, with Ballpark Nut Free, on May 9th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Whitlock Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- I's Drop Last Game of Series to Hagerstown, 2-0 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Lillie Starts Strong, But Hoppers Fall - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Peterson Deals in Series Finale against Lakewood - Columbia Fireflies
- Five-Run 10th Propels BlueClaws to 5-1 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive Defeat Grasshoppers to Earn Series Victory - Greenville Drive
- Javier's Solid Pitching Performance Leads Rome to Win - Rome Braves
- Alastre Shines in Suns 2-0 Shutout - Hagerstown Suns
- Tourists Catch a Case of the Mondays - Asheville Tourists
- Lexington Legends Pack Mother's Day with Events for the Whole Family - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (May 7) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 7 vs. Lakewood (Game 31) - Columbia Fireflies
- Asheville Tourists to Honor Area Nurses - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Claws Fall 2-1 as Legends Take SAL Title
- Claws Fall 6-3 on Thursday as Legends Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Claws Fall 5-2; Legends Level Series at 1-1
- Comeback Claws Come from Five Down in Ninth, Win Game One 6-5 at Lexington
- BlueClaws Open Playoffs with 4-2 Win at Kannapolis