First-Place Grizzlies Hold Beavers To Two Runs In Win
John Bowker hit a home run for the second straight night as the Fresno Grizzlies beat the Portland Beavers 9-2 Tuesday night at Chukchansi Park.
Bowker, who hit a three-run blast Monday night, did not waste any time Tuesday, hitting a two-run home run in the first inning deep over the right-field wall.
Steve Holm tallied three hits while driving in one run and scoring twice as the Grizzlies (43-22) collected 15 hits.
Chris Stewart finished with three hits and drove in the Beavers' (24-40) only two runs on a night in which Portland tallied 10 hits.
Grizzlies starter Madison Bumgarner (7-1) gave up two runs on eight hits and no walks in six innings to earn his seventh win of the season.
Cesar Carrillo (4-4) pitched 3 2/3 innings for the Beavers, giving up seven runs on 12 hits and two walks.
The Beavers responded to the Bowker blast when Stewart hit a single to center field to drive in Josh Barfield in the second inning
Tyler Graham tripled to lead off the third inning and was later driven in on a single by Edgar Renteria to give the Grizzlies a 3-1 lead.
Stewart drove in his second run of the game when he hit a double down the left-field line in the fourth inning, cutting the Grizzlies lead to 3-2.
The Grizzlies pushed their lead to 7-2 in with a four-run fourth inning, highlighted by an RBI double by Holm.
The Beavers and Grizzlies meet again Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. in the third of their four-game set at Chukchansi Park.
NOTES: Mike Baxter extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a 1-for-4 night ... Stewart finished with multiple hits for the second straight game.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2010
- Sox Top Rainiers in Extra Inning Thriller, 2-1 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Birkins a Hard Luck Loser, Sox Fall 1-0 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces Shut Out by Sacramento, 4-0 - Reno Aces
- Express Losing Streak Continues, Falling 3-2 to I-Cubs - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Top Zephyrs in Doubleheader - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cubs Edge Express, Seek Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Chase Wright Tosses One-Hit Shutout for Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Z's Get Swept in Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Angels Recall O'Sullivan - Salt Lake Bees
- Lerew Promoted to KC as Hochevar Hits DL - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Father's Day Celebration Highlights Nine-Game Homestand - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- First-Place Grizzlies Hold Beavers To Two Runs In Win - Portland Beavers
- River Cats Top Reno 4-1 - Reno Aces
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss