First-Place Grizzlies Hold Beavers To Two Runs In Win
John Bowker hit a home run for the second straight night as the Fresno Grizzlies beat the Portland Beavers 9-2 Tuesday night at Chukchansi Park.
Bowker, who hit a three-run blast Monday night, did not waste any time Tuesday, hitting a two-run home run in the first inning deep over the right-field wall.
Steve Holm tallied three hits while driving in one run and scoring twice as the Grizzlies (43-22) collected 15 hits.
Chris Stewart finished with three hits and drove in the Beavers' (24-40) only two runs on a night in which Portland tallied 10 hits.
Grizzlies starter Madison Bumgarner (7-1) gave up two runs on eight hits and no walks in six innings to earn his seventh win of the season.
Cesar Carrillo (4-4) pitched 3 2/3 innings for the Beavers, giving up seven runs on 12 hits and two walks.
The Beavers responded to the Bowker blast when Stewart hit a single to center field to drive in Josh Barfield in the second inning
Tyler Graham tripled to lead off the third inning and was later driven in on a single by Edgar Renteria to give the Grizzlies a 3-1 lead.
Stewart drove in his second run of the game when he hit a double down the left-field line in the fourth inning, cutting the Grizzlies lead to 3-2.
The Grizzlies pushed their lead to 7-2 in with a four-run fourth inning, highlighted by an RBI double by Holm.
The Beavers and Grizzlies meet again Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. in the third of their four-game set at Chukchansi Park.
NOTES: Mike Baxter extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a 1-for-4 night ... Stewart finished with multiple hits for the second straight game.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2010
- Sox Top Rainiers in Extra Inning Thriller, 2-1 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Birkins a Hard Luck Loser, Sox Fall 1-0 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces Shut Out by Sacramento, 4-0 - Reno Aces
- Express Losing Streak Continues, Falling 3-2 to I-Cubs - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Top Zephyrs in Doubleheader - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cubs Edge Express, Seek Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Chase Wright Tosses One-Hit Shutout for Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Z's Get Swept in Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Angels Recall O'Sullivan - Salt Lake Bees
- Lerew Promoted to KC as Hochevar Hits DL - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Father's Day Celebration Highlights Nine-Game Homestand - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- First-Place Grizzlies Hold Beavers To Two Runs In Win - Portland Beavers
- River Cats Top Reno 4-1 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss