Finals Hopes Fall Short as Lightning Fall to 'Force
Rockford came up short in the final game of their 20th anniversary season as they
lost on the road to the Sioux Falls Skyforce 93-104 in the third game of the
Lightning's fourteenth straight playoff appearance.
Roger Powell led the team with 23 points while shooting 13-for-15 from the free
throw line in the loss. Marlon Parmer added 22 points while Cordell Henry finished
with 19 points for the Lightning.
Rockford scored a season low 93 points in the loss. It was the only game this
season in which the team failed to score over 100 points in a game. The team shot
just 41.1% from the field, also a 2005-06 low, while connecting on 30-of-73 field
goals. Rockford was without leading scorer Ronnie Fields for the second time in
three games who was home with his sick father, and forward Sidney Holmes who is
sidelined with a strained knee.
While the outcome was negative, the team battled in every quarter and was in the
game until the end. The Lightning lost the first quarter 25-27, but had a chance to
win it when Henry's shot hit off the rim in the closing seconds. They lost the
second quarter 19-20 with near déjà vu for Lightning fans as Henry's shot missed to
close the half.
Rockford lost the third 23-25 and headed into the final quarter down by 5 points.
The team refused to go down without a fight and battled back to take an 81-77 lead
with 7:36 remaining in the game. Sioux Falls took control of the game in the
closing minutes and won the final quarter 32-27 for a final of 104-93. "No luck,"
said Lightning Head Coach Chris Daleo. "We were in it til the end. It was no
different than the Yakama game."
The Skyforce took all 7.0-quarter points in the game, and added a little pressure to
the Yakama Sun Kings and Albany Patroons game that takes place tonight.
If Albany can take 5.0-quarter points on the road against Yakama tonight, they will face off against the Gary Steelheads in the 2006 CBA Finals next week. If Yakama can score 5.5-quarter points over the Patroons, they will face off against the Steelheads in the Finals. Rockford and the Idaho Stampede have been eliminated with 2 playoff losses each.
• Discuss this story on the Continental Basketball Association 1 message board...
Continental Basketball Association 1 Stories from March 21, 2006
- Steelheads Lose at Idaho 100-90; Will Face Yakama Sun Kings in CBA Finals - Gary Steelheads
- Bliss Resigns - Dakota Wizards
- Lightning Website Jersey Auction - Rockford Lightning
- Finals Hopes Fall Short as Lightning Fall to 'Force - Rockford Lightning
- 'Force still alive for Finals berth - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Yakama's Rich Austin Named CBA General Manager of the Year - CBA 1
- 'Force stays alive - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Steelheads game notes - Gary Steelheads
- Steelheads Visit Idaho In Final Playoff Game Before CBA Finals - Gary Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.