Yakama's Rich Austin Named CBA General Manager of the Year
March 21, 2006 - Continental Basketball Association 1 (CBA 1) News Release
Boise, ID (March 21, 2006) - The Continental Basketball Association announced today that Rich Austin of the Yakama Sun Kings has been named the CBA General Manager of the Year for the 2005-06 season, as voted on by the league office. This is the first year for this award, which is meant to recognize the accomplishments and leadership of the General Managers in the CBA.
"Rich's hard work and dedication to not only the Sun Kings, but to the entire CBA over the years has not gone unnoticed," said CBA Commissioner Gary Hunter. "The enthusiasm he has for his job is unmatched."
Austin returned to the Sun Kings this season after spending two seasons as Sports Communications Manager of the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers. He is responsible for the day-to-day business operations of the Sun Kings.
He began his career with the Sun Kings as a member of the stat crew in 1990. Over the years, he has served in every capacity with the team except coaching and playing. Some of the titles Austin has held with the team include Director of Public Relations, Director of Operations, Director of Game Operations, Director of Client Services, Assistant General Manager, Director of Team Operations and General Manager. He witnessed every Sun Kings home game from 1990-2003, and was present for all three of the franchise's CBA title-clinching games (1995, 2000, and 2003).
A 1986 graduate of Washington State University, he earned a BA degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies (emphasis in Sport Management). Austin received his AA degree in General Studies from Yakima Valley Community College in 1984. He attended East Valley High School in Yakima, graduating in 1982.
He currently serves on the Leadership Yakima Executive Committee, a program of the Greater Yakima Chamber of Commerce, and is on the board of the Parker Youth & Sports Foundation.
The 41-year-old has three daughters, Chanteena (16), Addison (7) and Avery (4), and resides in Selah.
• Discuss this story on the Continental Basketball Association 1 message board...
Continental Basketball Association 1 Stories from March 21, 2006
- Steelheads Lose at Idaho 100-90; Will Face Yakama Sun Kings in CBA Finals - Gary Steelheads
- Bliss Resigns - Dakota Wizards
- Lightning Website Jersey Auction - Rockford Lightning
- Finals Hopes Fall Short as Lightning Fall to 'Force - Rockford Lightning
- 'Force still alive for Finals berth - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Yakama's Rich Austin Named CBA General Manager of the Year - CBA 1
- 'Force stays alive - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Steelheads game notes - Gary Steelheads
- Steelheads Visit Idaho In Final Playoff Game Before CBA Finals - Gary Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.