FINAL: El Paso 2, Tacoma 0
Povse Shines As Rainiers Fall To Chihuahuas, 2-0 Max Povse works 4.2 innings, allowes one run and strikes out seven
TACOMA, Wash. - The Tacoma Rainiers (62-65) dropped game one to the El Paso Chihuahuas (63-64) on Saturday night at Cheney Stadium.
Rainiers pitchers combined to issue 13 strikeouts while holding the Chihuahuas to just two runs on five hits. Tacoma starting pitcher Max Povse sat down the first 12 batters he faced, and ultimately worked 4.2 innings of one-run ball while taking the loss.
Cody Martin (3.0 IP) and Jonathan Aro (0.1 IP) combined to hold El Paso scoreless on just four hits while striking out four.
El Paso mounted a rally in the top of the fifth to score the only run of the night. Christian Villanueva drew a walk to open the frame stole second, moved to third on a single off the bat of Diego Goris, and came in to score on an RBI single to left from Jose Rondon. The base knock gave the Chihuahuas a 1-0 lead that they would not relinquish.
Gordon Beckham continued his recent streak of hot hitting with a 2-for-4 performance, providing the Rainiers only multi-hit outing. Catcher Tuffy Gosewisch (1x4), left fielder Ian Miller (1x3), and first baseman Mike Marjama (1x4) all chipped in with singles.
Rainier right-hander Andrew Moore (3-3, 3.74) and Chihuahuas righty Chris Huffman (1-1, 5.87) face off as the series continues on Sunday afternoon at 1:35 p.m. PT.
All tickets, group outings and suites packages for the 2017 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at www.tacomarainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
--- www.tacomarainiers.com ---
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 19, 2017
- FINAL: El Paso 2, Tacoma 0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- El Paso 2 Tacoma 0 - Saturday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Matt Swarmer Leads Iowa in Triple-A Debut - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Blank Sounds at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Cycle, Home Run Derby Back Bubba's Gem - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Express Survive Storm Chasers 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- El Paso 8 Albuquerque 1 - Friday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late Errors Sink Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- FINAL: Tacoma 7, Salt Lake 6 - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.