Fernandez with Walk-Off Hit on Wednesday
Rancho Cucamonga, CA - Yeiner Fernandez's ninth-inning hit chased home the winning run, as the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes won their third straight game overall, defeating the Vsialia Rawhide by a final of 5-4 on Wednesday night at LoanMart Field.
Fernandez, who was 0-for-4 coming into the at-bat, smashed a Jose Alcantara (2-1) pitch all the way to the wall in left-center field, scoring Edwin Mateo with the game-winning run.
The hit extended his hitting streak to five straight games to open his Quakes' career and also gives Fernandez six RBIs in his first five games.
The Quakes raced to an early 4-0 lead over Visalia starter Joe Elbis, but saw Visalia rally in the third inning, as they scored four times on only one hit, evening the game at 4-4.
Jimmy Lewis pitched well in the start on Wednesday, but the Rancho defense let him down a bit, as they committed two errors in the third, as all four runs charged to Lewis were unearned.
Kyle Hurt pitched well, firing 3.1 innings of scoreless relief with six strikeouts.
Rancho reliever Reinaldo De Paula (2-1) earned the win with 1.1 innings of scoreless work.
The Quakes (65-51) look for a fourth straight win on Thursday, as Kendall Williams (3-3) takes on Jamison Hill (0-0) of the Rawhide at 6:30pm.
Thursday night is our final Thirsty Thursday of the year, as fans will enjoy drink specials throughout the night, including $4 domestic drafts, $5 premium drafts and $3 Pepsi products. Tickets are available at rcquakes.com.
All games can be heard live with Mike Lindskog, by visiting our website at rcquakes.com and click the Listen Live button. You can also download the iHeart Radio app and find the RC Quakes Radio channel or on the Tune-In Radio app, by searching keyword Quakes. Have Amazon Alexa or a Google Home? You can use voice command to get the Quakes too, by enabling the Alexa and Google Skills for both iHeart Radio and Tune-In Radio.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A West League message board...
Low-A West League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Storm Take Advantage of 14 Walks, Smoke 66ers 17-3 - Inland Empire 66ers
- Freed's Grand Slam Propels Giants to Seventh Straight Win - San Jose Giants
- Offensive Explosion Gives Storm Second Straight Win - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Nuts Come from Behind to Trip Ports in Extras - Stockton Ports
- Gil's Career Night Not Enough in Grizzlies 12-8 Setback to Giants - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nuts' Overcome Deficit and Blown Lead in 6-5 Win - Modesto Nuts
- Fernandez with Walk-Off Hit on Wednesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.