Feltner Wins His Third Straight Start for Asheville
ASHEVILLE- It was another close ballgame between the Asheville Tourists and the Augusta GreenJackets on Sunday afternoon. This time the Tourists came out on top thanks to timely hitting and a tremendous pitching performance from the duo of Ryan Feltner and Jake Bird. Asheville took the series finale from Augusta 4-3.
Feltner pitched six innings and allowed three runs; only one of which was earned. Ryan struck out seven and retired the final seven batters he faced. Feltner has won his last three starts; all of them at McCormick Field.
Bird entered in the seventh inning with the Tourists leading 4-3. Jake sat down the first seven batters he saw before allowing a pair of baserunners in the top of the ninth. Bird never wavered. The Tourists reliever then induced a game-ending double play to earn his second save of the season.
Offensively, Asheville did a majority of their damage on two-out hitting. Terrin Vavra and Kyle Datres recorded back-to-back two-out hits in the bottom of the first inning to give the Tourists a 1-0 lead. In the third Asheville strung together four straight two-out hits that resulted in three runs. Niko Decolati broke a 1-1 tie with an RBI single and Danny Edgeworth plated two more on a double to right-centerfield.
Augusta was able to plate a pair of unearned runs in the top of the fourth; however, the visitors never were able to draw even. Vavra finished with three hits while Edgeworth, Datres and Decolati all added a pair of knocks to the mix.
The Tourists finished their homestand with a 4-2 record and a pair of series victories. Next up is a three-game set against the Greenville Drive that begins on Monday night in Greenville.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Rome Powers Up to Beat Kannapolis 9-3 in Finale - Rome Braves
- Butto and Acosta Shut Down Charleston, Fireflies Sweep Sunday Doubleheader - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Stump 'Birds in 10th, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Five-Run Eighth Sinks Power in Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Swept by Fireflies in Sunday Twin Bill - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Bats Come Out, Complete Sweep over Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Feltner Wins His Third Straight Start for Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Take Series over Drive in Game Three Victory - Lexington Legends
- Asheville Pitches Their Way to Series Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Complete Sweep of Claws with 10-5 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Doubleheader Game Notes: July 14 vs. Charleston (Games 89 & 90) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 14) - West Virginia Power
- Promotional Notes (July 15-21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Defeats Rome 6-5 in a Walk-Off Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.